Rutgers wins 4th straight in dominant fashion against Albany

back-wbb-jenkins-curstine-11.18
Photo by Curstine Guevarra |

On Sunday, the Rutgers women's basketball team played Albany at the Rutgers Athletic Center for its fourth home game win. 

The Scarlet Knights (4-0) were scheduled to play at Charlotte this past Friday, but due to a snowstorm on Thursday, the game was postponed. Both teams are working to reschedule the game to a future date.

Rutgers dominated the first three quarters only allowing a maximum of 9 points per quarter, until the Great Danes (1-3) pushed a comeback in the fourth quarter by making 17 points. 

While the Knights still walked away victorious in points per quarter, the last quarter was a tight race. Although the team has not traveled on the road yet, its next few games will take place in Vancouver, British Columbia, as they will compete in the Vancouver Showcase over Thanksgiving break.

Senior forward Caitlin Jenkins went 5-5 from the field, scoring 12 points. She also made two free throw attempts and grabbed 10 rebounds, earning her third double-double of the season.

Her senior year is shaping up to be a memorable one, with consistently high field goal percentages along with stellar rebound numbers. Of her 10 rebounds, six came from the offensive end. There is a lot more potential for her games in the future.

“I feel like when the team rebounds offensively we get another chance to score and to execute. So it’s like the second chance points matter a lot,” Jenkins said.

Sophomore guard Tekia Mack made her season debut against Albany, after missing the first three games due to an elbow injury. Mack had a solid .500 field goal percentage and made the only 3-pointer she attempted on the night. After a successful debut, she will want to continue her success as the season progresses. 

For the 16th time in the program's history, Rutgers has started the season with a 4-0 record. It has only allowed 13 field goals, which were the fewest made by an opponent since allowing Fairleigh Dickinson 13 shots from the field in 2017. 

The Knights held the Great Danes to only 13 shots off 45 attempted field goals, a .289 field goal percentage. Rutgers had a .450 percentage, which was decent with an attempted 60 shots. Although, at the 3-point line, the Knights could use some more practice sinking those shots.

Sophomore guard Arella Guirantes scored 6 points in the first quarter. She had a .444 3-point percentage on the night.

“Overall, it was a better team effort, and we just had fun playing. We still have a long way to go, but we’re making the right strides to where we need to be,” Guirantes said.

Another success of the night was sophomore forward Mael Gilles. She ended the game with a .500 field goal, 3-point and free-throw percentage.  

Rutgers will soon be playing Big Ten teams and the more intense competition will push the team to continue its strong play.

Their season has started off very successful, but there are still quite a few players on the bench due to injury. The Knights will need healthy players to ensure it can compete with challenging teams in the conference.

“Defensively, I think we were all on the same page,” Guirantes said. “In the previous games we were a little shaky and not on the same page. Today, we came with a different level of focus and a different level of pride, so our defense turned into our offense. It all helped.”

For updates on the Rutgers women's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Delaney Zubrick