March 23, 2019 | 42° F

Rutgers hosts season opener against Saint Francis

The Rutgers women’s basketball team will be playing its first game of the season on Tuesday in the Rutgers Athletic Center (RAC) against St. Francis. 

The Red Flash have already played a game this season and walked away with a win.

New to the Scarlet Knights this year are three talented athletes. Coming from across the country and across the world, these three players will need to adjust to the levels of the Big Ten quickly in order to help the team outperform last season's production. 

Freshman guard Zipporah Broughton, traveling all the way from Alabama, has quite the resumé. She comes with the title of USA Today Alabama Girls Basketball Player of the Year and finished her senior year of high school being the No. 5 point guard in the nation. 

While college basketball is on another level than high school basketball, these titles will only help Broughton’s career at Rutgers in the coming seasons. 

Playing in Israel’s U16, U18 and U20 national teams, freshman guard Noga Peleg Pelc has an extensively successful background that should bode her well on the Banks. 

Being 1 of 2 international players on the team, she will have to learn to adjust to the fast-paced environment of college basketball. 

Finally, freshman forward Tyia Singleton was ranked the No. 18 post player in the nation by ESPN's HoopGurlz with 6.9 points and 13.3 rebounds per game as a senior. A native of Florida, she brings a 7A state championship to the Banks, along with being a GEICO High School Basketball Nationals player. 

Despite the three new freshmen, the Knights have a veteran team. With two graduate students and four seniors on a team of 14, they have an advantage in experience on the court that other teams may not have. 

Ending last season 20-12 and 7-9 in the conference, Rutgers had a successful season under Hall of Fame inductee and head coach C. Vivian Stringer. 

Stringer, who led the Knights to the Final Four in 2000 and 2007, is one of the few coaches to be on the cusp of reaching the 1,000 career victory club. She started with Rutgers in 1995 and has a .641 winning percentage with the team in 23 seasons. Her total coaching career with 997 wins and 402 losses has been more than a successful record.

The Knights are looking to begin another successful season, using their seniority and coaching to their advantage. 

Graduate student guard Sierra Calhoun will be playing her first season at Rutgers this year. She played the past three seasons at Ohio State and spent her freshman season at Duke. She is a dynamic player with versatile abilities. 

With so many titles to choose from, the most notable achievements in her career have been two Big Ten championships with the Buckeyes. Calhoun is a player to look out for in her first year as a Knight this season.

With the majority of the team coming from various schools across the country, Rutgers is full of diverse backgrounds and different experiences. This should help the team to be able to adjust to any kind of opponent. 

The ability to transfer skills over to another team is an impressive skill to have, and this season we will see whether the team will be able to transfer into a new environment seamlessly. 

The Knights will play the first three games of the season at home, which should ease them into officially playing again. They will only have approximately a month to prove they can compete before they start their Big Ten schedule. 

The first round of the Big Ten Tournament is set for March 6, and Rutgers is hoping for a good spot to showcase how the team has grown on a larger stage. 

For updates on the Rutgers women's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Delaney Zubrick