WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | November 16, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 6.46.54 PM

WEATHER SERVICE AWARD

The National Weather Service awarded the Rutgers New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station (NJAES) and Rutgers Cooperative Extension (RCE), recognizing the effort and time of those who volunteer to input daily local weather observations in a database available to anyone interested in learning about the region’s climate. Rutgers is receiving its much-deserved recognition for 50 years of valuable information. But, the weather observation station’s history extends even farther than that. We laurel the incredible dedication of students, faculty and departments in recording the shifts in temperature overtime, providing the scientific community with more evidence of global warming and climate change.

CONCERNS OVER AMAZON

New Jersey cities failed to receive the new Amazon Headquarters as groveling cities across the country competed, providing free information and offering a vast range of tax exemptions. Seventy-three community organizations across 21 states signed an open letter to CEO of Amazon Jeff Bezos listing several concerns around a possible HQ2, including issues of hiring, investment, housing and gentrification. There is no definitive certainty on whether the benefits outweigh the cost of hosting headquarters, but the impact of a New York Amazon headquarters can potentially be felt in New Jersey. We dart the hastiness and graveling of cities while broader consideration for consequences should have been made. 

PROTECTION OF JUSTICE

On Wednesday, Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) took to the Senate floor, pledging to block any vote on judicial nominations until his co-sponsored bill protecting the Mueller investigation is heard on the floor. Flake holds the deciding vote on a narrowly-divided Senate Judiciary Committee. The bill would simply require that the firing of special counsel be based solely in good cause, and it would allow the fired special counsel to challenge the removal in the courts. Protections of the judicial process are applauded, and we laurel Flake’s stand for the integrity of the investigation. 

LACK OF LEADERSHIP ABROAD 

On Nov. 11, nations involved in World War I gathered in France to celebrate and reflect on the war’s armistice that occurred 100 years ago. On Saturday, while the European representatives made the 50-mile trip to the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery and Memorial, where 50,000 American soldiers were laid to rest, President Donald J. Trump remained in his room in Paris due to rain. On Sunday, of the more than 60 world leaders gathered, only Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin were late to the ceremony at the Arc de Triomphe, also skipping the march down the Champs-Elysees. Whether the weekend represented our movement away from the West or our commitment to our allies, the actions of Trump were uncharacteristic of an American leader and unprecedented. We dart Trump’s degradation of the sacrifice of American soldiers and disregard for a weekend meant for solidifying America’s democratic alliance with other nations.

AID TO MOBILITY

America has seen a decrease in socioeconomic mobility. There has been a decline in lifetime earnings mobility and an increase in probability that one will end where they started for every income group. Rutgers is joining 130 public colleges in an effort to increase college access, close the achievement gap and award significantly more degrees by 2025. In this day and age, a college education is arguably more important than ever. We laurel Rutgers’ commitment to confront the pressing issue of mobility in America. 

OVERSIGHT ON SPENDING

In the early 1990s, legislation demanded that all government agencies have annual audits. But, for 20 years, the Pentagon was not compelled to collect and present this information to Congress, exempting itself from the obligation and claiming that a full audit would be too costly and time-consuming. In 2016, an internal study in Pentagon exposed $125 billion in administrative waste. Also, the Government Accountability Office (GAO) and Office of the Inspector General (OIG) have published a multitude of reports documenting financial mismanagement including $500 million in aid to Yemen, $5.8 billion in supplies and $8,000 spent on helicopter gears that really cost $500. The Pentagon failed its first comprehensive audit. We dart the lack of financial oversight on an agency that consumes a large portion of the budget. 

_____________________________________________________

The Daily Targum's editorials represent the views of the majority  of the 150th editorial board. Columns, cartoons and letters do not  necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its  staff.