January 23, 2019 | ° F

Board of Governors approve new academic success center for athletes

RU Academic Success - View 2
Photo by Courtesy of Rutgers Today |

The Barbara and Gary Rodkin Center for Academic Success, located on Busch campus, will include resources such as academic advising, learning specialists, one-on-one and group tutoring, workshops, seminars, team study halls and a computer lab.

A new building, the Barbara and Gary Rodkin Center for Academic Success, was approved at Rutgers University's Board of Governors meeting on Thursday. 

The new $15 million addition received its most major contribution from Barbara and Gary Rodkin, according to a Board resolution released in February. 

"Among my highest priorities has been to improve the academic resources for all our students," said Rutgers University President Robert L. Barchi. "This gift from Gary and Barbara will further our aspiration to be recognized as one of the world's premier universities. I want to thank the Rodkins for their remarkable leadership in helping our student athletes achieve the highest academic standards."

The building will consolidate all academic support services for Athletics in a single building and will also house training facilities for the men's and women's soccer and lacrosse programs, as well as offices for Athletics administration. 

The facility will be located on Busch campus across from HighPoint.com Stadium, according to the resolution.

The building’s resources for athletes will include academic advising, learning specialists, one-on-one and group tutoring, workshops and seminars, team study halls and a computer lab, according to the resolution. The facility will also have a lounge to foster peer-to-peer interaction among student athletes. 

"The great state universities pride themselves on excellence, both in academics and athletics," Gary Rodkin said. "Being a successful student athlete is a difficult balancing act. These young men and women represent us. We feel a responsibility to help provide the resources necessary for them to achieve on the playing surface and in the classroom."

The Board meeting also celebrated women’s basketball head coach C. Vivian Stringer's 1,000th victory and stressed the increased need for online course offerings, as they are more financially feasible for students. 

The Daily Targum reported last week that the meeting was met with protests from faculty and students who, in a combined effort, were advocating for a $15 minimum wage and a new faculty contract that would promise increased benefits, job security and greater staff diversity. 

Brendan Brightman

Brendan Brightman is a School of Arts and Sciences junior double majoring in political science and English. He is a contributing writer @The Daily Targum.