RUSA allocates funding for Spring 2019, creates two new committees

front-rusa-declan-09.18
Photo by Declan Intindola |

RUSA President Suzanne Link, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, and Parliamentarian Nicholas Tharney, a Rutgers Business School junior, voted to endorse the opioids messaging campaign at Rutgers. Link also announced the creation of two new committees during the meeting. 

A total of $610,502 will be allocated to 334 registered student groups for the Spring 2019 Semester following a unanimous vote on Thursday by the Rutgers University Student Assembly (RUSA).

Every semester, the RUSA Allocations Committee presents its budget, and the assembly votes on where money from student activities fees will go. The recipients this year were decided based on a two-week budget submission period, from Oct. 12 to Oct. 26, in which organizations made their proposals.

Members from the committee said they calculated the amount of funds available to allocate for the 2018-2019 year based on the estimated income from student fees and split the available funding between the fall semester, spring semester and the other annual RUSA expenses. 

RUSA also voted to endorse the University-wide opioids messaging campaign, which is an effort to curb the opioid epidemic that kills approximately 115 Americans every on average.

"The campaign was created due to recent increases opioid-related deaths," said Hinita Patel, a Rutgers Business School junior and chair of the Health and Wellness Committee.

To endorse the campaign, RUSA will promote it through different social media platforms in an effort to raise awareness. This legislation was approved unanimously as well.

Suzanne Link, a School of Arts and Sciences senior and RUSA president, announced the creation of two new committees during the meeting.

The Sustainable Governance Committee is meant to evaluate pre-existing student government structures and attempt to improve them, while the Undergraduate Alumni Relations Committee will focus on operating mainly for networking purposes.

Samarth Thakker