March 24, 2019 | 32° F

Rutgers earns distant medley 1st-place finish at Terrier Classic

p10-wtrack-sobieski-dt-02-16

The Rutgers women’s track and field team headed up the road to Boston, as it competed in the Terrier Classic hosted by Boston University for its third meet of the indoor season.

The Scarlet Knights' only top finish was in the distance medley, with the team of seniors Phyllis Gordon and Jenna Sobieski and sophomores Kiera Nealon and Olympia Martin. The team topped the podium with their time of 11:50.88. This is the first victory for the distance medley team, and they won decisively, edging out Coast Guard by almost 5 seconds. 

The top individual performer for Rutgers once again was senior Oniesha Clarke. She competed as the No. 2 seed in the 60-meter dash and didn't disappoint. She finished in third with a time of 7.64 seconds, matching her best time of the season in that event. Clarke’s time fell just 0.03 seconds short of the winner, Dartmouth's Cha’Mia Rothwell.

The Knights' other competitor in the 60 meter was freshman Iyanla Kollock, who has turned heads with her performance so far this year. She also qualified for the final, and her time of 7.78 seconds was good for a fifth-place finish. 

Kollock’s 60-meter time has been remarkably consistent, as she has finished every 60 meter final of her college career with a time of either a 7.77 or 7.78. In the 200 meter, she was Rutgers’ top finisher with a time of 25.12 seconds, good for 11th in the field. 

The Knights had two athletes finish in the top-five in the high jump. Junior Rhonda Rogombe finished third with a jump of 1.70 meters. Right behind her was sophomore Courteney Campbell, who finished fourth with a jump of 1.70 meters, but lost to Rogombe on a tiebreaker. 

Rutgers’ third high jumper was freshman Gabriela Sanchez, who finished in 25th with a jump of 5.12 meters, which is shorter than the personal best she set last week.

The Knights earned another top-10 finish in the 800 meter, as Jenna Sobieski earned eighth place with a time of 2:10.28. This was a career personal best for Sobieski in the 800 meter, marking a 5-second improvement over her last 800-meter run at the Penn 8-Team Select. 

In the 400 meter, Gordon was Rutgers’ only competitor, finishing in 17th with 57.22 seconds. In the 500 meter, freshman Mackenzie Prezume earned the Knights a 19th-place finish with her time of 1:17.99. 

In the relays, the 4x400 team of Prezume, Gordon and freshmen Erin Bertscha and Brooke Riedy placed 14th, finishing with a time of 3:57.24. 

In the shot put, freshman Zyra Thomas was the only competitor for Rutgers, finishing in 25th with a throw of 11.27 meters.

The Knights will return to action on Friday to compete in the Metropolitan Championships in Staten Island, N.Y. Following that meet, Rutgers will have two more meets to straighten up before it heads to the Big Ten Indoor Championships in Ann Arbor, Mich. on Feb. 22. 

For updates on the Rutgers women's track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Chris Tsakonas