August 18, 2019 | 74° F

WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | February 8, 2019

screen-shot-2018-01-18-at-6-46-54-pm

Windows of Opportunity

After launching in January, the “Windows of Understanding” project has been displaying temporary art installations created by Rutgers students on storefronts and restaurant windows in New Brunswick. The artwork is meant to teach the New Brunswick community about the social impact of local organizations in the city, which does not always generate headlines in the news. The initiative is an incredible means of using art as a medium for raising awareness and building support in the community. We laurel the project as it expands accessibility of art and brings positive messages of engagement and civic action.  

Biosensor Development

Bringing positive change to the world community, Umer Hassan, an assistant professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and core researcher for the Rutgers Global Health Institute, has developed a biosensor for AIDS diagnosis and management. While HIV/AIDS diagnosis traditionally requires hundreds of dollars, expensive machinery and trained technicians, biosensors allow for the lowering of costs and shortening of diagnosis time. We laurel the ingenuity of Hassan and the ability to recognize the problem of global healthcare inequity and the use of STEM to solve it.  

Green New Deal

As climate change studies continue to paint a dire future and extreme events like hurricanes, droughts and raging wildfires ravage the nation, the Green New Deal provides ambitious goals for some drastic measures to cut carbon emissions across the country. While the initiatives would set the country on the path that avoids calamity, they are also set to boost the economy and create jobs. It also includes the progressive ideas of universal basic income and high-quality healthcare for all. The Green New Deal is only set to become a symbol, a beacon of light for politicians to create progress as it will most likely fail to come to fruition. We laurel the bold outline as a means of building support for responses to the devastating impacts of climate change and setting new limits to legislative measures. 

Athletic Deficit

On Thursday, Feb. 7, the athletic consulting company College Sports Solutions (CSS) released a comprehensive 58-page report on Rutgers athletics. The report found that the athletics program has a total debt (principal and interest), not including institution funding and projected gifts, is estimated at $144.6 million. The athletics department’s deficit was $399.3 million in the 2003-2004 school year, and has been steadily decreasing. The faculty union attributed this to the athletics program’s increasing reliance on the University’s operating budgets, as reported by the Targum. With the athletics program consistently producing budget shortfalls, we dart the continued effort to pull from University funds for athletic program initiatives while the faculty union remains in a contract dispute and the mission of Rutgers is based in the strengthening of academics. 

Wrongful Selection

As it was announced by email on Tuesday, Christopher J. Molloy is now the chancellor of Rutgers University—New Brunswick. Without a public or formal process, Molloy’s interim position has been solidified. This break from tradition was notably opposed by president of the Rutgers University Student Assembly (RUSA) Suzanne Link. In agreement with Link’s comment that this sets a dangerous precedent, student input in the selection process must not be extinguished. We dart the exclusionary process of appointing the second-most powerful administrator at the University. 

Hate in Politics

Virginia faces a political crisis as the state wrestles with its deep roots of slavery and oppression. A photo of two figures, one in blackface and one in a Ku Klux Klan robe on the medical yearbook page of Gov. Ralph Northam (D-Va.) recently surfaced. Soon after this was revealed, elected officials of the Democratic Party have requested Northam’s resignation. After initially denying that he is featured in the photo, on Saturday, he admitted to wearing blackface in 1984. An accusation of sexual assault against the governor’s potential replacement, Lt. Gov. Justin E. Fairfax (D-Va.), has also surfaced. State Senate Majority Leader Tommy Norment (R-Va.) was the managing editor of Virginia Military Institute’s 1968 yearbook, which includes photos of students wearing blackface and uses of racial slurs like the N-word and Asian slurs. Such hate ought to be unseated from our elected bodies of government. We dart any political leadership by those who have contributed or taken part in the degradation and oppression of minority groups.

_____________________________________________________

The Daily Targum's editorials represent the views of the majority  of the 151st editorial board. Columns, cartoons and letters do not  necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its  staff.