August 19, 2019 | 90° F

Molloy announced as Rutgers' chancellor, RUSA voices opposition to selection process

malloy-jacksonthompson
Photo by Jackson Thompson |

Chancellor of Rutgers University - New Brunswick Christopher J. Molloy had previously served as interim chancellor since Chancellor Debasish Dutta  resigned in 2018. 

Christopher J. Molloy is now the chancellor of Rutgers University—New Brunswick, University President Robert L. Barchi announced in an email yesterday.

Molloy had been serving as interim chancellor since former Chancellor Debasish Dutta resigned last summer, which The Daily Targum reported in July 2018. He also served as the vice president for research and economic development in the five years before his interim appointment.

Shortly after Barchi’s announcement, President of the Rutgers University Student Assembly (RUSA) Suzanne Link released a letter stating RUSA’s opposition to the process in which Molloy was chosen. 

“In a letter to the student body following Dr. Dutta’s resignation, I expressed a need for student input in the process that would culminate in a final selection for a New Brunswick chancellor,” Link said. 

Now, Molloy has been appointed with no public or formal process, she said. 

Link does not oppose Molloy as chancellor, only the process in which he was chosen. She said that Dutta’s appointment was chosen through a search committee that included undergraduate and graduate representation. 

“The appointment of the second-most powerful administrator at Rutgers University—New Brunswick without student input sets a dangerous precedent that I consider to be counter to the culture of inclusivity which the University so openly boasts,” she said. 

In his email, Barchi said that Molloy has been a part of the Rutgers community since he was a pharmacy student in the 1970s. 

“Dr. Molloy is a strong and steady leader who brings a deep understanding of the institution to every discussion about its future,” Barchi said in the email. “He has embraced the challenges of the chancellorship and has expressed a forward-looking vision that will, among other things, increase Rutgers University—New Brunswick’s public prominence, provide a clear financial plan and expand internships and related opportunities for students.”

Brendan Brightman