July 19, 2019 | 93° F

Rutgers falls in Nebraska 193-160

swimming-lawlor-jeff

This past weekend, the Rutgers swimming and diving team faced off against Nebraska on the road. The Scarlet Knights lost by a score of 193-160.

Although this might be Rutgers' third loss in a row, it goes into a short break now before the Big Ten championships from Feb. 20 to 23. Before the winter break starting in late December, the Knights were undefeated. 

Freshman Simone Lusby posted her best time in the 200-yard back stroke, against the Cornhuskers.

"Coming from New Zealand, I think that the team effort and all the girls have helped attribute to my improvement and success in the past year," Lusby said.

Going forward, Lusby believes that her practicing will be a little bit more focused than before, as Rutgers readies for the Big Ten championships. 

Junior Clare Lawlor finished first in the 50-yard freestyle event and finished fifth in the 100-yard freestyle.

“Every day, coming in, knowing that I’m working hard for my teammates, my friends, and my coaches, knowing that whatever they tell me to do will pay off in the end," Lawlor said. 

From Lawlor's perspective, she believes that future practices will be no different for her compared to the past. She mentioned how the team has treated each practice as a major competition.

Lawlor and Lusby's camaraderie has helped not only the team in general but all the swimmers individually. Each of these swimmers trusts each other for support. They have helped the Knights obtain success this season. 

Head coach Jon Maccoll summed up this weekend by mentioning that he is very proud of his swimmers and how they did not back down the whole time they were out there swimming.

“We had standout performances from the first day, our top players swam fast, on the second day, all our players swam fast and I attribute that to our focus," Maccoll said. "The travel on us the first day was a bit hard, but I could not ask for a better week this year. We won a ton of meets this year, swam really well and it was nice to see us get punched in the face and then get back up and punch back.” 

With all the success this past season, Maccoll does not view the future as differently as the past and thinks his team can do very well if they stick with the process they have been working with over the past months.

Rutgers will ready for the postseason championships later this month. 

“We will rest a little bit more, as we get ready to swim fast. With that being said, we have to follow the process and what we have previously done this year," Maccoll said. "This year, there were three meets that mattered, and swimmers did very well to try and drop times, but in the end, (they have to) rest more, hope for the best.” 

For updates on the Rutgers swimming and diving team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Alec Spector