February 18, 2019 | 24° F

Women's basketball team indefinitely suspends player at Rutgers after her arrest

mg-0609
Photo by Dustin Niles |

Caitlin Jenkins, a senior in the School of Management and Labor Relations, was arrested by the Rutgers Police Department on Saturday. Although she was released, she did not suit up for the next day's game against the University of Minnesota. 

A Rutgers women’s basketball player, Caitlin Jenkins, was arrested Saturday afternoon due to charges of simple assault and criminal mischief related to a domestic violence incident, according to Asbury Park Press.

Jenkins, a School of Management and Labor Relations senior as well as a forward for the women’s basketball team, was arrested by the Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD), with the incident occurring off campus in New Brunswick. She was later released on her own recognizance, but did not play at the game against Minnesota on Sunday.

It was announced by the team after the game that Jenkins had been suspended indefinitely from playing due to violation of team policy.

No additional information could be released due to the fact that it was a domestic violence-related incident, RUPD said.

Jenkins played 15 minutes in Rutgers’ Jan. 31 game against Indiana but did not record a point in the last game before her arrest. 

A Shreveport, Louisiana native, Jenkins is averaging 6 points per game but has been a defensive presence for the Knights, averaging nearly seven rebounds per game and tallying 21 steals this season.

During her freshman season, she played at Southern Mississippi, where she was named to the All-Defensive Conference USA team. She then transferred to Southern University at Shreveport the next season.

Since arriving on the Banks her junior year, the 6-foot-3-inch forward placed sixth in the Big Ten for blocks, averaging 1.6 per game. 

Head coach C. Vivian Stringer, athletics director Patrick Hobbs and Jenkins all declined to comment through a University spokesperson, according to NJ Advance Media

Jake Schmied

Catherine Nguyen