Computer science master's program at Rutgers ranks No. 35 in the country

The master's program for computer science at the University has four distinct tracks: machine learning, vision and graphics, systems and security. It aims to give students a perspective of the field, as well as its structure and problems.  – Photo by Pixabay

In a recent ranking from Computer Science Degree Hub, a resource guide that gives information about accredited computer science programs in the country, Rutgers placed 35th. 

Jamie Weitl, the communications manager for Computer Science Degree Hub, said the ranking was created by gathering the scores awarded to universities from other higher education ranking sources, including Times Higher Education, Academic Ranking of World Universities, U.S. News and World Report and Forbes Top Colleges. 

"There are many factors to consider. You might be interested to discover, however, that not all the best programs are offered by highly selective elite universities. There are plenty of incredible programs that also have the virtue of accessibility, and many of those are featured in our ranking," according to the website.

Compared to other schools in the Big Ten Conference, Rutgers ranked ahead of Michigan State University, which ranked 40th, and Indiana University–Bloomington, which ranked 42nd. Schools that ranked higher included University of Maryland, which ranked 18th, and Pennsylvania State University, which ranked 26th on the list. 

Rutgers was considered because its computer science program offered four different study tracks: machine learning, vision and graphics, systems and security, according to the website.

The ranking only considered schools with stand-alone master's degrees, which was why universities such as Massachusetts Institute of Technology were not included. Additionally, in its methodology, the U.S. News and World Report had the greatest weight in its overall ranking because it ranked graduate computer science programs specifically.