August 22, 2019 | 89° F

NUNDA: Many find alternatives to entering labor force

Opinion Column: Capitalist Culture

"Nobody wants to work, but capitalism is an ugly beast,” East Bay artist Rayana Jay proclaimed to Pacific Standard two weeks ago. Her words, although simple, are straightforward and just about sum up the majority of the working middle-class mentality. Does anyone honestly really want to work? Probably not. If given the opportunity to retire and still remain well-off at an early age I am almost positive there would be a large amount of individuals jumping at the opportunity. But, we live in 21st-century America and no one seems to be offering handouts any time soon.

The truth of the matter is, jobs are becoming harder to attain. The idea of financial stability seems to loom more and more at every corner as each year passes, especially among younger generations. We want to be better than our parents, to make them proud and prove their hard work was not for nothing. The question is, how? How does one do better than a mother and father who came to this country at a young age, took care of two young girls and worked for their money all while going to school? It is a question I have been trying to answer for several years.

As a child, I was always told to attend school and if I did what I was supposed to, I would attain a successful career and be able to support myself. The older I get, the farther away that dream seems. The truth is, college can be a confusing time. Picking a career is not as easy as it seemed when the people around you made the career choice for you. Obviously not everyone’s ideal path is to become a doctor or lawyer. 

The more open-minded each generation becomes, the more ... innovative we get. Adults in their early 20s are proving entrepreneurship does work. Others find success in documenting their lives on YouTube. Then there are the very few that turn to more unconventional ways. For those of you that may not know, the foot fetish world is gaining more attention and even gaining a new crowd of participants. That is right. Females, and sometimes males, around the world are exploiting their feet for profit. 

The workforce has become an overcrowded concrete jungle, with the rich, the poor and everyone in between making up the food chain. The foot fetish world has proved to be a way out for girls like Kayla Woods, who sells pictures of her feet to pay for Christmas gifts. The 21-year-old mother of one made more than £2,000 through the underground business. 

The foot fetish world is an up-and-coming form of entrepreneurship in high demand. Women are taking their socks off — and sometimes selling those as well — to snap quick pictures for a few extra dollars. Photos can go as much as $50 depending on the amount sent, while videos can make anywhere between $100 to $200 based on the duration and content. As odd as it may seem, some men ask for anything between rubbing one’s feet together to wiggling their toes or even squeezing fruit with their feet. The list goes on and on. 

To answer my own question, there are a number of possibilities to choose from. Success should not be defined in terms of someone else’s opinion, but instead, my own. Will I be resorting to showing off my twinkle toes for profit? Probably not, but that does not mean there is a shortage on other money-making alternatives. The hope from my parents is that I finish school. In two years, I will be able to gladly check that off my list. Until then, I will continue on my path toward building my resume and trying not to fall to the “ugly beast” that is capitalism. 

Stacey Nunda is a School of Environmental and Biological Sciences sophomore majoring in environmental planning and design. Her column, “Capitalist Culture,” runs on alternate Thursdays.

_______________________________________________________________________________

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes  submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print       newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 500 words. Guest  columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 850 words. All authors  must include their name, phone number, class year and college  affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please  submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com by 4 p.m. to be considered for   he following day’s publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do  not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or  its staff. 

Stacey Nunda