March 25, 2019 | 50° F

Men's basektball player is charged on 7 counts, suspended indefinitely by Rutgers

news-thiam-declan-11-18
Photo by Declan Intindola |

The charges against Issa Thiam, a School of Arts and Sciences junior and member of the Rutgers' men's basketball team, were all disorderly third or fourth degree charges and included simple assault, criminal mischief, false imprisonment and tampering with physical evidence.

A member of the Rutgers men’s basketball team was arrested on Friday and faces seven charges, including false imprisonment and terroristic threats, according to an article by NJ Advance Media.

Issa Thiam, a School of Arts and Sciences junior who played in 25 games this season, is the player who has been charged and suspended indefinitely from the team. Thiam has been charged with simple assault, criminal mischief, false imprisonment, tampering with physical evidence, possession of a weapon for unlawful purpose, theft by unlawful taking and terroristic threats, according to the article.

All charges are disorderly third — or fourth  — degree charges, according to the article. 

The Daily Targum reported in February that the Rutgers women’s basketball team had suspended player Caitlin Jenkins, a School of Management and Labor Relations senior, after she was charged with simple assault and criminal mischief. This is the first men’s basketball player to be arrested this season.

Brendan Brightman