August 17, 2019 | 84° F

New Brunswick police alerts Rutgers of off-campus robbery, investigation underway

news-crime-dt

Police were alerted of the robbery yesterday afternoon at 11:53 p.m. The victim reported that he had been making a food delivery when three male perpetrators entered his car, with two removing valuables from the vehicle. 

In an email sent to the Rutgers community yesterday evening, Brian Emmett, the detective lieutenant of the Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD), informed of a robbery that occurred that afternoon.

The incident was reported to have occurred at approximately 11:53 p.m. on Baldwin Street, between Jones Avenue and Nichol Avenue. Though the incident was off-campus, it was closest to Cook campus and Douglass campus. 

Emmett said the victim was not affiliated with the University, and that he reported making a food delivery to a private residence when the robbery occurred. The victim was then approached by a male perpetrator, who entered the victim's vehicle and "pushed a hard object against his body." There were also two additional male perpetrators who removed valuables from the vehicle. All three then fled the area toward Jones Avenue. 

The victim was reported to not have been physically injured from the incident.

"The descriptions of the perpetrators are limited at this time," Emmett said in the email.

RUPD also reminded the Rutgers community to take precautions such as immediately reporting suspicious activity, avoiding dark or isolated areas, remaining alert and walking in groups. 

The New Brunswick Police Department is currently investigating the incident.

Catherine Nguyen