May 23, 2019 | 66° F

New details emerge in basketball player incident involving 7 charges

news-thiam-declan-11-18
Photo by Declan Intindola |

The charges against Issa Thiam, a School of Arts and Sciences junior and member of the Rutgers' men's basketball team, were all disorderly third or fourth degree charges and included simple assault, criminal mischief, false imprisonment and tampering with physical evidence.

Issa Thiam, a School of Arts and Sciences junior and Rutgers men's basketball player, who The Daily Targum reported yesterday was charged with seven counts of crimes, has been accused of slapping a woman in the face a half-dozen times and swinging a kitchen knife at her when she refused to give up her cell phone, according to an article by NJ Advance Media. 

The incident, that involves charges of simple assault, criminal mischief, false imprisonment, tampering with physical evidence, possession of a weapon for unlawful purpose, theft by unlawful taking and terroristic threats, occurred on Friday when Thiam tried to take the unidentified woman’s cell phone in his Piscataway apartment, according to the article.

The woman refused and held the phone to her chest, according to the article. Thiam then allegedly went to the kitchen, got a knife and threatened to kill her. 

Thiam also slapped the woman 6 to 8 times, according to the article. 

He allegedly got the phone and pushed her back into the apartment when she tried to leave, according to the article. 

“There’s no excuse for domestic violence, but all domestic violence begins with a domestic relationship, which are almost always complicated,” said Charlie Sciarra, Thiam’s attorney.

Thiam also denies anything with a knife or threats, Sciarra said. 

He has also been suspended indefinitely from the team, according to the article. Head coach Steve Pikiell, at an unrelated press conference on Monday, said, “We’ve had many obstacles this season and this is just another one we have to fight through.”

Brendan Brightman