April 26, 2019 | 59° F

New to Netflix in March: Political comedy, drama, nostalgic hits

ib-spy-kidz-twitter
Photo by Twitter |

Millennials will be pleased to know that the month of March has brought another batch of new arrivals to Netflix. Every month, the leading streaming service is known to introduce a variety of television shows and movies to its customers. This month, in particular, includes brand new seasons of award-winning TV shows, timeless movies and an array of Netflix originals. Here’s a list of programs which may interest you. 

The Notebook 

A cult classic for those who express an interest in the romantic genre of film, “The Notebook” stars Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams. This story is about two individuals who indulge in a summer romance. However, due to their differences in status, their love story experiences great complications. Noah (Gosling) is a poor quarry worker, while Allie (McAdams) is a South Carolinian socialite. 

Thanks to Netflix, as of March 1, you can watch the story of Noah and Allie unfold. The film is a perfect flick for an intimate date night in or perhaps a sleepover with the girls. 

Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj, Volume 2 

After receiving an abundance of praise, Hasan Minhaj is back for a second season of his highly acclaimed show, “Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj.” After the trailer released in early October last year, fans couldn’t contain their excitement seeing that Minhaj, a stand-up comedian, was to be producing a show that would air new episodes on a weekly basis. 

The show was created in order to inform the public about the current issues that are circulating in the world, yet entertain the audience by adding a comedic twist to almost every other point. A program I encourage the youth to watch since it allows us to be abreast with the times as well as being a good laugh. 

Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams 

Another classic for those of us who appreciate a good throwback. “Spy Kids 2” premiered when most of us could barely walk, yet we grew up watching. “Spy Kids” was a movie franchise created by Robert Rodriguez under the Troublemaker Studios. 

The movie follows the lives of Juni (Daryl Sabara) and Carmen Cortez (Alexa PenaVega), children of notorious spies. This story is a sequel to "Spy Kids," in which Carmen and Juni are shown to be unaware of the fact that their parents are spies. In the sequel, Carmen and Juni attempt to save the president’s daughter, yet are faced with the challenge of dealing with the children of a double-dealing agent. 

As of March 8, “Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams” will be available to view on Netflix. 

How to Get Away with Murder, Season 5 

Another reason to celebrate the month of March is the release of the fifth season of “How to Get Away with Murder.” This American drama series is about a law professor, Annalise Keating (Viola Davis), who gathers a handful of her students to work for her at her personal law firm. In the process, Annalise and her students become involved in a murder plot leading to a series of revelations made amongst the group. 

Due to its star cast and promising story, the show has become the recipient to a multitude of awards. Some of which include the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Female Actor in a Drama Series (given to Davis) as well as TV Program of the Year given by the American Film Institute in 2014. 

As of March 30, the latest season is set to be released on Netflix. In the days ahead, make sure to check out the show’s past seasons which are currently streaming. 

Maliha Khan