April 25, 2019 | 66° F

New details emerge on Caitlin Jenkins arrest, subsequent release

news-jenkins-dustin-1-19
Photo by Dustin Niles |

An affidavit obtained by The Daily Targum revealed that charges of domestic violence and criminal mischief against former Rutgers women’s basketball player Caitlin Jenkins, a School of Management and Labor Relations senior, were cleared on Feb. 19.  

“I do not wish to press charges against Caitlin Jenkins, nor move forward with this case in any way because of her innocence in this situation,” the victim said in the affidavit. “I hereby state the the information above is true to my recollection of the events in question. I also confirm that the information here is both accurate and complete, and relevant information has not been omitted.”

The Targum previously reported that Jenkins was arrested and charged. The arrest occurred on Feb. 2 based on an off-campus incident. 

Four New Brunswick police officers made the arrest outside of the Rutgers Athletic Center just before Jenkins and the team were set to catch a flight to Minnesota for a game the next day Jenkins said. 

“It was almost (1 p.m.), we were about to get on the bus to go to Minnesota,” Jenkins said in an exclusive interview with the Targum. “(Assistant athletic director) Michelle Edwards was outside and she came in and said, ‘The police are outside, they want to talk to you’ ... so then that’s when they came. The police were outside and they arrested me.” 

Jenkins was suspended from the team on Feb. 5 and was dismissed on Feb. 21. During her case, she said she continued with classes and attended some of the team’s games as a spectator.

She intends to participate in the WNBA combine later this spring. Jenkins said the NBA player she likens herself most to is Golden State Warriors forward Draymond Green and even believes she could compete against Green 1-on-1. 

“He’s an undersized post but he plays great defense and he plays hard (and) he rebounds. (It’s) just the play you get tired of. And I think I could take anybody, that’s just my mindset,” she said. 

See more at  https://bit.ly/2O4szuW