May 23, 2019 | 66° F

Rutgers places No. 19 for top public universities nationally

news-oldqueens-micafinehart
Photo by Mica Finehart |

Learn.org referenced Rutgers' long history, which goes back to before the nation was even founded. Old Queens, which is located on the College Avenue campus, represents this history since it is the oldest building in the University. 

Learn.org has recently published its rankings for the top public universities in the country for 2019, ranking Rutgers University—New Brunswick 19th on the list. 

In order to come up with the list, data factors from the U.S. Department of Education such as graduation rates, tuition prices and student rankings were considered. These factors were then combined with extra offerings by the university, such as opportunities for studying abroad, extracurricular student activities, overall beauty of the campus and more, according to Learn.org.

"To compile this list, we considered hundreds of public universities across the country and selected Rutgers University—New Brunswick based on academic and career resources, the quality of education, faculty and more," said Nicole Richards, a senior content generalist for Study.com, in an email to The Daily Targum.

Specifically, Rutgers was part of a long history, especially since it was founded a decade before the United States even became a country, according to Learn.org. Throughout the years, notable alumni have included vice presidents, senators, governors, novelists and Nobel Prize winners. Turning to the present, the University currently has more than 350 programs and majors for approximately 50,000 undergraduates, according to Learn.org. 

Rutgers also has a retention rate of 93 percent and a graduation rate of 80 percent, and is a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU). Learn.org also acknowledged the athletic presence at the University.

"It has the distinction of being the birthplace of college football, a rich tradition that's carried on today in the Big Ten," according to the website.

Since 2003, Learn.org has been working to help students when researching potential schools, degrees and careers. Richards said the list of the top public universities aimed to help users and students determine the best university offerings. 

Catherine Nguyen