May 23, 2019 | 66° F

Rutgers sweeps Buccaneer Classic

sports-hughes-casey-4-18
Photo by Casey Ambrosio |

This past weekend on Saturday, the Rutgers women’s softball team faced off in the Buccaneer Classic in Johnson City, Tennessee. Although their games on Friday and Sunday were canceled, the Scarlet Knights (12-9) still played on Saturday and won both games.

Rutgers played against Tennessee Tech and Evansville. The Knights beat the Golden Eagles(8-8) and the Purple Aces (10-10) by a score of 9-1 in each game. With the completion of this weekend, Rutgers is now on a six-game win streak.

These statistics are mostly in part due to the team's ability to hit consistently. One big part of this success has been true freshman catcher Katie Wingert. 

Against Tennessee Tech, Wingart went 1 for 3, recording a 2-run home run and scored 2 total runs in the process. Against Evansville, she was 2 for 3, with 2 runs and an RBI. 

“I think lately that coach has done a good job of getting our videos on all the pitchers that we could see," Wingart said. "This helps us be prepared when entering the box and helps make game day a lot easier."

Another strong characteristic from the team this weekend has been the ability of the Knights' defense to allow only one run in each game. This whole weekend, Rutgers did not let up a single error while on the field. 

Last weekend's performance is very different from a few weeks ago, when the Knights had a hard time keeping up with the offenses of other teams. This is in large part due to head coach Kristen Butler's emphasis on team work. 

On top of great defense, the team has done very well in part due to stellar pitching. In the second game, true freshman pitcher Corah Price only merged to let up 1 run. 

“I think lately, I just have faith in my skills while remembering what my coaches have taught me. I believe what they are teaching me," Price said. "They just want me to be successful, try to set me up for success and know that I am prepared for whatever comes at me. I don’t second guess anything and have faith in my time."

With these strong performances, Butler said that the team has made different adjustments to its hitting. By practicing on this skill, Rutgers was able to come home with two wins from Tennessee.

The team has many different aspects of play to work on. Butler said that the Knights have to produce to cover up their defensive errors, specifically crediting Wingart for getting runners on and off the base paths. 

All in all, this weekend has been a significant improvement, and the team will continue to do well in the future.

“We did a lot better this weekend with base running and improved with stealing bases this past weekend, but we need to try and score more," Butler said. "Even though we scored a lot of runs, we did not get all the runners we could have off base, as well as improve our bunting for the future."

For updates on the Rutgers softball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Alec Spector