June 17, 2019 | 78° F

2nd murder takes place in New Brunswick this month

dsc-0062

Rutgers has not issued a crime report for the second murder, which took place April 5 on Welton Street in New Brunswick.

Two men were arrested Saturday morning and charged in the death of 36-year-old Lucas Reyes-Cardona, whose body was found in the basement of an abandoned residence on Welton Street on April 5, according to a Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office press release made public over the weekend. 

This is the second murder to happen in New Brunswick this month. The first was reported by The Daily Targum earlier this month, when a University-wide email announced the incident five days after it had occurred. 

Thirty-six-year-old Juan Carlos Chavez-Amaya and 28-year-old Jorge Barrios — both of New Brunswick — were arrested and charged with one count of first-degree murder and one count of endangering an injured victim in the third degree, according to the release. 

The investigation is active and ongoing, both Chavez-Amaya and Barrios are presumed innocent until proven guilty, according to the release. 

The first murder this month occurred near the Paterson Street bus stop on George Street. The University did not respond in time for this article’s publication, so it is unclear if extra safety measures have been taken by the Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) since the incident. 

Brendan Brightman