July 23, 2019 | 68° F

Molloy invites Rutgers to Paul Robeson Plaza's dedication on Friday

news-molloy-mica
Photo by Mica Finehart |

During the dedication of the Paul Robeson Plaza on the College Avenue campus this Friday, there will be performances, readings and remembrances to celebrate the activist's achievements and contributions to the University. 

Chancellor Christopher J. Molly has invited the entire Rutgers community to the University’s dedication of the Paul Robeson Plaza on Voorhees Mall April 12. 

“I ask that we join as a community at 3 p.m. on April 12 to honor Robeson with performances, reading, and remembrances that reflect upon him and his contributions to our University – and the world,” Molloy’s University-wide email stated. 

The prominent open space will sit within the heart of the University and will be a physical monument “to an alumnus whose life’s achievements are central to the story of Rutgers,” the email stated. 

The dedication is part of the Robeson centennial, a yearlong celebration of his legacy as a scholar, athlete, actor, singer and global activist, the email stated. The Daily Targum reported in February that the prominent Commercial Avenue in downtown New Brunswick would be renamed Paul Robeson Boulevard. 

There are also exhibitions on Robeson’s life at the Alexander Library and Zimmerli Art Museum, the email stated. 

The email also expressed Molloy’s sincere gratitude for the Class of 1971 and the Rutgers African American Alumni Alliance for their dedicated fundraising efforts for the new plaza. 

Brendan Brightman