April 25, 2019 | 52° F

New Brunswick police investigate fatal aggravated assault on George Street

news-murdergarrett
Photo by Garrett Steffe |

The Rutgers University Police Department reported that the victim was physically assaulted by two male perpetrators on Saturday night, and suffered serious bodily injury that led to his death after he was transported to a local hospital. 

In an email sent out to the Rutgers community yesterday evening, Detective Lieutenant Brian Emmett informed that the New Brunswick police department and Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office were currently investigating a fatal aggravated assault last Saturday. 

The incident occurred at approximately 10:15 p.m. on George Street, near Paterson Street. The victim, who was not affiliated with the University, was physically assaulted by two male perpetrators after a reported verbal altercation. There were no weapons used during this incident, but the victim suffered serious bodily injury. After being transported to a local hospital, he died due to the injuries. 

Both the New Brunswick Police Department and Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office announced that the two male perpetrators who assaulted the victim are in custody and have been charged in connection to the incident, Emmett said. The two men were 32-year-old James Lyle and 28-year-old Joshua Robinson, both of New Brunswick. They were charged with murder and aggravated assault. Both are currently being held in the Middlesex County Jail.

Emmett also reminded the University community to take reasonable precautions, such as immediately reporting suspicious activity to police and avoiding dark or isolated areas. He mentioned that the RUPD provides escorts to students, faculty and staff as well upon request.

Catherine Nguyen