August 18, 2019 | 74° F

RUSA appoints interim student senators

1-rusa-giacobbe-facebook
Photo by Facebook |

Sandy Giacobbe, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, was appointed by the Executive Board of Rutgers University Student Assembly as an interim senator, since it was a role not filled during the most recent election. 

Last Thursday’s Rutgers University Student Assembly (RUSA) meeting saw the governing body begin its internal elections, as well as a report on the new allocations budget.

Ase Awari, a School of Engineering sophomore, was unanimously re-elected as secretary of the assembly. The secretary is responsible for maintaining all non-financial records of RUSA. After heated debate, Subhadha Kartik, a School of Arts and Sciences first-year, was named the new Legislative Affairs Committee chair. Kartik will be responsible for representing the student voice in local, state and federal policymaking settings. The rest of the internal positions will be voted on at the meeting on May 2.

RUSA Allocations Board presented its report on the Fall 2019 semester budget, which saw $680,000 allocated to 288 student organizations, including five organizations that are funded annually.

The Board, which is made up of students, is responsible for allocating money from RUSA’s budget to student organizations each semester. Organizations had been given more than a month to submit budget requests and two budget help nights were held during the process, according to the Board.

Representatives also passed a resolution to allow RUSA's Executive Board to appoint interim School of Arts and Sciences senators. The resolution allowed the Executive Board to appoint senators in the roles that were not filled during the recent elections.

The three choices made by the executive board were Sandy Giacobbe, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, and School of Arts and Sciences sophomores Emily Kane and Alyssa Vanveldhuisen. The interim senators will be subject to confirmation by the Student Affairs Committee.

Speaking at the meeting, RUSA President Jhanvi Virani a School of Arts and Sciences junior, stressed the importance of filling these roles in order to ensure that student voices get heard in the senate, a body made up of faculty and staff members as well as students.

The positions will open again in RUSA’s Fall 2019 semester elections.

Nicole Wootton-Cane