April 25, 2019 | 52° F

Rutgers announces new officers for Board of Trustees

news-trustees-rutgers-edu
Photo by Rutgers.edu |

Mark Angelson, the vice chair of the Board of Governors, said he was scheduled to have lunch with Richard D. Heffner the day he died. During the event, he also recalled Heffner's impact on him as both a friend and mentor.

Rutgers has elected its Board of Trustees Officers for 2019-2020, according to an article by Rutgers Today. The Board acts in an advisory capacity to the Board of Governors and is comprised of 41 voting members: 20 charter members, 16 alumni members and five public members appointed by the governor of the state with confirmation by the New Jersey State Senate, and is headed by a chair and two vice-chairs. 

James F. Dougherty will serve a one-year term as chair of the Board of Trustees, according to the article. He is a second-term alumnus trustee serving through 2024. Professionally, he is a veterinary internist from Collegeville, Pennsylvania and co-owner of Metropolitan Veterinary Associates. 

Ronald Garutti will serve as co-vice chair of the board, according to the article. A Pottersville, New Jersey resident and Rutgers College alumnus, his second term as a charter trustee runs through 2024. He is a retired group vice president of global regulatory affairs at Schering-Plough.

Jose Piazza is also going to serve as co-vice chair, according to the article. A graduate of Washington University and the University of Rochester, Piazza’s second term as a charter trustee runs through 2023. He is a vice president of business excellence finance at Verizon Communications.

The appointments take effect July 1, 2019, and run through June 30, 2020, according to the article. 

Finally, Mary DiMartino will join the Board of Governors for the term running from July 1, 2019, to June 30, 2025. A Lawrenceville, New Jersey resident, she is the executive director of J.P. Morgan Securities and a Douglass College alumna, according to the article. 

Brendan Brightman