July 17, 2019 | 78° F

Rutgers tops standings at Doc Hosea Invitational

sports-rutgers-womens-rowing-team-on-the-raritan-river-by-rutgers-athletics-rutgers-edu
Photo by Rutgers.edu |

In its third race of the spring season, the Rutgers rowing team captured four first-place finishes in events en route to winning the 12-team field Doc Hosea Invitational, last Saturday.

Competing approximately 59 miles away from campus on the Cooper River in Cherry Hill, New Jersey, the Scarlet Knights topped first place over nationally ranked opponents such as No. 14 Syracuse and No. 15 Minnesota with 127 points.

In its third year, the Doc Hosea Invitational honors former Rutgers Athletics orthopedist Dr. Timothy Hosea, who died four years ago and worked as a team doctor for USRowing.

“I'm really proud of our entire team today,” said head coach Justin Price. “We are continuing to show a lot of growth and improvement in all areas. Winning a competition named after and dedicated to Hosea makes today extra special because of what he means to Rutgers."

After winning Big Ten Boat of the Week for their performances at the Cooper Sprints on March 24, the Knights edged out the Orange by 31 seconds for first place in the varsity eight race with a 6:32.00 time. Senior Natalie Summerfelt served as the bow while junior Rucha Janodia was the coxswain.

The Golden Gophers finished in third with a time of 6:34.50.

Aside from Janodia and Summerfelt, the team was comprised of seniors Sarah Johanek and Laura Hegemann, juniors Kathleen Butler and Elizabeth Kogan, sophomore Ella Toa and true freshman Femke Paulis.

Johanek, a 2018 First Team All-Big Ten selection, was a part of the varsity eight boat that earned Rutgers’ first Big Ten Boat of the Week since last season, bringing the program’s total to two since joining the conference in 2014.

The Knights’ second varsity eight team topped the Grand Final standings with another top finish, outpacing Syracuse and UPenn with a 6:47.09 time.

Minnesota finished in fourth with 6:55.06 time and Temple crossed the finish line with 6:55.29, good for fifth.

In the second varsity four event, Rutgers paced the race with a 7:42.77 time, in front of Navy, who finished in second with a 7:48.53 time, and the Quakers.

The Knights’ second varsity four’s bow was sophomore Kara McDermott and the coxswain was true freshman Emily O’Neill.

Rutgers came in second in the first varsity four with a time of 7:48.09, behind the Gophers’ 7:45.81 first-place time. The Orange finished behind the Knights with time of a 7:48.93.

True freshman Emily Meade served as the bow while sophomore Madison Sieloff was the coxswain. The team also consisted of senior Mackenzie George, junior Julia Wilson and true freshman Emily Klysen.

Rutgers' third varsity eight team took home second place, with a 7:18.22 time, while Syracuse took first place.

The Knights have the next several weeks off before the Big Ten Doubles Dual takes place on April 13, where they will compete against Michigan and Michigan State in Columbus, Ohio.

For updates on the Rutgers rowing team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Jake Schmied