May 27, 2019 | 66° F

Rutgers breaks program spring record at Penn Relays

11-rogombe-thedailytargum1-16

This past weekend, the Rutgers women’s track and field team raced at the Penn Relays in Philadelphia. There, the Scarlet Knights earned school records and personal records. 

This would be Rutgers' last meet before the Big Ten Championships, and it has put in hard work to get to its position now.

Senior Oniesha Clarke was able to finish seventh after qualifying for the 100-meter dash. She placed second in her opening heat with a time of 11.76 and in the finals, she ran a time of 11.89.

Freshman Reanda Richards placed second in the 400-meter hurdles by only a fraction of a second. Richards finished in a time of 57.58, and the first-place finisher, Shannon Kalawan of St. Augustine, ran a 57.37.

Richards held the fastest time in the nation recently for Division I athletes, but she came to this meet as second in the nation.

The women’s sprint medley team placed fourth with a time of 3:48.63, which was a new school record. They were also only a few seconds behind the first-place finisher, Penn State, who ran 3:45.25.

The Knights' sprint medley team consisted of freshmen Iyanla Kollock, Ajae Alvarez-Tyler and Richards and senior Jenna Sobieski.

Junior Rhonda Rogombe tied for fourth in the high jump as she cleared a height of 1.74 meters.

Sophomore Courtney Campbell claimed the college high jump title with a jump of 1.67 meters. Campbell was also the champion at the Metropolitan Championships.

Freshman Zia Barr is making a name for herself in her first year at Rutgers. Barr competed in the triple jump, and while she placed ninth, she competed against 30 other athletes with more experience. Barr jumped 11.69 meters and has progressed this season.

Senior Halia Rosemond also placed ninth in discus with a throw of 43.12 meters. Rosemond was only a little more than 10 feet away from first place, so it was a successful meet for her as well.

The 4x800-meter relay team placed sixth with help from Richards, freshmen Mackenzie Prezume and Brooke Riedy and Sobieski. They ran a time of 8:46.80 while the first-place team, Indiana, ran an 8:33.47.

For the Big Ten Championships, some athletes to look out for include Richards, Clarke, Campbell and Rogombe. All four of these women have successful track records and there is a lot to see from them coming up. 

The Big Ten Championships will be held in Iowa City, Iowa from May 10 through the 12. There will be several tough competitors that some of the athletes have yet to compete against, but with the success of this season, Rutgers should have confidence in its races and events.

For updates on the Rutgers women's track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Delaney Zubrick