June 26, 2019 | 82° F

Rutgers concludes regular season at Penn State

11-ferrara-casey-3-5
Photo by Casey Ambrosio |

While the season’s end nears, so do the college careers of eight seniors as they prepare for their final moments as member of the Rutgers women's lacrosse team. Senior attackers Abbey Brooks and Allie Ferrara, defenders Christine DiLullo and Regina Sharp and midfielders Tess Howland and Amanda Romano, along with goalkeeper Devon Kearns will all be playing their last game in the upcoming weeks. 

A player with notable career stats is Brooks, who currently has a total of 91 points with 56 goals and 35 assists. Another is DiLullo, who is closing out her defensive career with 64 ground balls and 18 caused turnovers on the season.

Ferrara has 34 goals while Kearns has saved 233 shots, and Sharp currently with 84 ground balls and 51 caused turnovers. 

Looking back at the previous week’s game, the Scarlet Knights (5-10, 0-5) showed their strengths against Ohio State, but it wasn’t enough. Rutgers outshot the Buckeyes (9-7, 1-4) 26-25 with 17 shots on goal. 

Fifteen turnovers were made by Ohio State. The Knights scooped up 20 ground balls while winning 8 out of 20 faceoffs. 

The game started pretty slow, with only 7 total goals scored in the first half. Sophomore attacker Taralyn Naslonski had two assists and 1 goal, while junior midfielder Samantha Budd and redshirt freshman attacker Monica Dresnin had 2 goals each. 

Dresnin scored from behind the goal to tie the game while sophomore midfielder Julia Lytle scored a goal to give Rutgers its first lead with 23:47 left to play in the second half. 

The Buckeyes had other plans in mind. After the Knights took the lead, Ohio State came back with a 6-1 run to close out the game 11-7. 

The Buckeyes were led by 5 and 3 goals from Baley Parrott and Sophie Baez, respectively. Sara Dickinson, Mackenzie Maring and Maura McGregor each had 1 goal.

Despite a 5-10 record, Rutgers can look back on its season with the glass half full. The Knights faced six ranked opponents while competing in the challenging Big Ten. 

The team can regroup and focus on what it can change and improve on for the next season. Rutgers still has some time to spare, as it faces Penn State this Saturday at 11 a.m., for its final regular season game and take part in the Big Ten Tournament the following week.

But, history does not side with the Knights as they have an overall matchup record of 1-8 with their last win back in 2013. Just like the previous games, Rutgers can rely on its offense to rack up points and widen its lead. 

The defense has collectively done well with causing a good amount of turnovers, winning ground balls and being able to clear the ball well. 

For updates on the Rutgers women's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Nick Yi