June 19, 2019 | 68° F

RU Athledictorians

bigsportsphoto

Anthony Ashnault

A four-time All-American, a three-time Big Ten champion and the second man to become a national champion for the Scarlet Knights. His sixth year of eligibility at Rutgers was the stuff of legends as he went a perfect 32-0 after missing all of 2018 due to an injury. Ashnault will still be a Knight, as he will be part of the Rutgers coaching staff. But as a student wrestler, the scarlet hammer just dominated.

Sarah Johanek

Despite being a rower for Saint Joseph Academy for four years, Sarah Johanek was probably one of the greatest one-year wonders in Rutgers history. She rowed in the stroke seat of the Varsity 8 all season, rowed in first place for Varsity 8 in the season opening sweep of Columbia, guided Rutgers to its best finish in the Big Ten Championship, placing sixth in the Varsity 8, rowed in winning Varsity 8 and captured team victory at Cherry Hill Invitational and lastly rowed in a third-place Varsity 8 finish at the Eastern Sprints. For her success, she was given an All-Big Ten selection this year, an All-Big Ten academic honor, a distinguished scholar honor and was named a CRCA Scholar Athlete as well.

Izaiah Brown

Izaiah Brown became the first Rutgers sprinter in school history to claim four first-place finishes when he bolted to a first-place finish with a 45.82 time in the 400-meter dash at the Big Ten Championships back in February. Brown currently holds the University record in the 400 meter with a 45.27 time, which he achieved back in 2016 as a freshman. He also comes in third in the 200 meter, holding 20.95 as a freshman as well. Imagining the idea that he ran faster than people with at least double his experience is astonishing. Brown owns the Big Ten Championship record for the 400-meter dash, which the Scarlet Knight posted in 2017 with a time of 45.32. Brown's Rutgers resume also includes four First Team All-Big Ten recognitions, 2016 Big Ten Indoor Track Athlete of the Year and 2016 Big Ten Indoor Freshman of the Year. 

Vera Koprivova, Francesa Stoppa

This pair has been setting records for the Rutgers swimming and diving team since they were underclassmen, but finished their careers strongest their senior year. Both were NCAA qualifiers this past season – Koprivova leaves the Banks as the school record holder for the 200 backstroke, 400 freestyle relay and 400 medley relay. Stoppa retires as the school record holder for the 100 butterfly and 200 butterfly, both records she attained at the Big Ten Championships.

Max Edelmann

Max Edelmann is arguably one of the best goalies in the nation for the sport of lacrosse. He began his career with a save percentage over .500. His debut saw him make nine saves against St. John’s. From 2017-2019, Edelman had 480 saves, with this year seeing him collect 191 saves. All in all, Edelman was named team captain of the Knights and is only the eighth man in school history with more than 500 saves in his career (507 to be exact). In 2019, Edelman had an amazing .558 save percentage. Though his career ended with disappointment against Penn State in the Big Ten Semifinals, he still had 13 saves in the game against the No. 1 team in the country.

Victoria Harris

In her entire career here at Rutgers, Victoria Harris only missed two games. An iron woman for C. Vivian Stringer’s teams, she represented exactly what a Scarlet Knight athlete should be; determined, commited, and prideful. From 2017-19, she averaged 5 ppg and 5 rpg. A key contributor to the Scarlet Knights rejuvenation in 2019, her biggest moment came in the Big Ten Tournament when she hauled in fourteen rebounds in the first round against Purdue. The accolades that the Snelville native compiled includes three Big-Ten all-American honors from 2017-19, and in 2018, she was given the honor of being on the Big Ten Distinguished Scholars list for her academic excellence in the class.

Kenie Wright

Kenie Wright has only missed a single soccer game in her Rutgers career. She made a great first impression her freshman year, starting all 26 matches and being named All-Freshman by the Big Ten. In 2016, she was on the field for a whopping 2,065 minutes. In 2017, she scored 3 points against Monmouth University, which included a goal and two assists. She ended her career on the Banks on a strong note by registering an assist on the game winner in back-to-back conference matches. She was named Second Team All-Big Ten and the Sportsmanship Award Honoree.

Saquan Hampton

Saquan Hampton is on his way to start an NFL career with the New Orleans Saints. But let’s reflect on his career on the Banks: a career total of 38 games started at free safety, five total interceptions and a combined 177 tackles. He was a consistent player for Rutgers through and through. His accolades include the Douglas A. Smith Award in his freshman year, which is given to the most improved player from the start of training camp to the end of the season. Then in 2018 he was named the Knights' team captain and won the Homer Hazel Award for being the best player on the team. Hampton is a hardworking athlete who will be a solid safety in Louisiana.

Caitlin Jenkins

Domestic violence accusations cost Caitlin Jenkins her Rutgers basketball career in 2019, but before her arrest and eventual dismissal earlier this year, Jenkins anchored the defense on a historic Scarlet Knights team. She took the court for C. Vivian Stringer's historic 1,000th win and led Rutgers to a 10-game winning streak to the top of the Big Ten standings.

Shaquille Doorson

As the lone senior from the 2018-2019 Rutgers men's basketball team, Doorson brought a unique leadership to a team of underclassmen that went on a historic run through the regular season. Doorson's presnce helped lead the Scarlet Knights to a number of program milestones, including most Big Ten wins and the first road victory over a ranked opponent when they took down Iowa on the Hawkeyes' senior night. 

Jess Hughes

A true .300 hitter, Hughes helped propel the Rutgers softball team back to the postseason in 2019, with a career-high .358 batting average and 10 home runs. After only a two-year stint on the Banks as a transfer from Fordham, Hughes has left her mark on the program in the short window she had and isn't done yet. 

Jackson Thompson

Matt Siriani