July 23, 2019 | 68° F

Christopher Gotterup garners Second Team All-Big Ten honors

For the first time in the past five seasons, the Rutgers men’s golf team has a student athlete capture an end-of-season award from the Big Ten.

Sophomore Chirstopher Gotterup was selected to the Second Team All-Big Ten for the first time in his career after finishing the season in the top 10 at the Big Ten Championships, last weekend.

At the conference tournament at the 165-year-old Philadelphia Cricket Club, the oldest country club in the nation, the Scarlet Knights came in sixth place, their highest placement in program history.

Rutgers captured a sixth-place finish with a score of 887, with all of its golfers going a combined 291-316-280 in Philadelphia. 

Freshman Shayler Dance tied for ninth place with Maryland’s Peter Knade, rounding out the pair of Knights in the top 10 at the Big Ten Championships.

In Philadelphia, Gotterup’s 214 performance earned him a top-five placement, tying for fourth with Michigan State’s Donnie Trosper. Because of this, he was the first Rutgers golfer to capture an All-Big Ten Championship Team honor.

"He's really been on fire during the last several tournaments,” said head coach Rob Schutte. “To have the other coaches in the conference recognize that means a lot to both Chris and this program. It shows that we're able to attract and develop top-level talent here at Rutgers."

The Little Silver, New Jersey native’s best performance of the Fall 2018 season was his sixth-place finish at the Mountaineer Invitational, hosted by West Virginia University, at the beginning of last October. In that competition, Gotterup was one over par with a 217 score, going 74-70-73 in the competition.

A 2018 Preseason All-Big Ten honoree, Gotterup also recorded a team-best finish at the Colleton River Invite, the Dessert Mountain Intercollegiate and the Redhawk Invitational, all during this spring season.

At the Rutherford Intercollegiate on April 14, Gotterup finished with a two-under-par performance in three rounds. He eclipsed 10 birdies and had one eagle at the Penn State-hosted event in University Park, Pennsylvania.

In Fall 2018, the Christian Brother Academy product represented two top individual finishes for the Knights, including his Mountaineer Invitational performance. At the Wisconsin-hosted Badger Invitational, Gotterup captured a one-under-par 71 score.

While at CBA, Gotterup won two consecutive Monmouth County Tournament Championships. As a high school sophomore, he was selected as the Asbury Park Press Golfer of the Year.

Rutgers graduates one senior — Matthew Mourin — while returning seven golfers on the team, including Gotterup. Mourin was captured the Academic All-Big Ten accolade twice in his four-year career on the Banks. 

With their 2018-2019 season over, the Knights will prepare for the fall season by welcoming incoming freshmen Brendan Hansen and Xavier Marcoux. The two Rutgers newcomers signed their National Letter of Intents last November. 

The two new Knights were ranked as top-70 high school recruits for the Class of 2019, as per GolfWeek.

Hansen will reunite with his former CBA teammate Gotterup this fall season. The Spring Lake, New Jersey native was a part of a CBA team that earned two straight NJSIAA Tournament of Champions first-place finishes.

Hansen set the school's record with an average of -1.88 in dual competitions.

Marcoux, who spent his high school golf career at Florida powerhouse Montverde Academy, earned a first-place finish at the 2017 IJGT Kings Classic, which was held in Orange Lake, Florida. He also qualified for last year's Massachusetts Amateur Championship

Current junior Tony Jiang will be the only senior graduating in the spring of 2020. Gotterup and sophomores Putt Sridma, Bobby Weise and Oliver Whatley complete the upperclassmen leadership for the upcoming 2019-2020 season, which will be Schutte's eighth at the helm.

For updates on the Rutgers men's golf team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Jake Schmied