July 17, 2019 | 78° F

Rutgers PTLs hold grade-in in Winants Hall

5-ptl-dustin
Photo by Dustin Niles |

Grade-ins are peaceful actions where instructors gather to grade students' work together. This year, the faculty union held the grade-in for part-time lecturers at Winants Hall on the College Avenue campus, which is also University President Robert L. Barchi's office. 

The Rutgers American Association of University Professors and American Federation of Teachers (AAUP-AFT) held a grade-in for part-time lecturers (PTL) near University President Robert L. Barchi’s office yesterday in Winants Hall on the College Avenue campus. 

PTLs have been negotiating a contract for over a year. 

The approximately 3,000 PTLs employed by Rutgers are asking for a raise at $7,250 per course, access to healthcare and job security, according to a press release sent to The Daily Targum from the PTL chapter of the Rutgers AAUP-AFT. 

“It’s unconscionable that this administration, which is hoarding nearly $800 million in unrestricted reserves and just paid itself $5.5 million in ‘incentive’ bonuses, continues to claim it cannot afford to pay adjuncts a fair wage,” said Teresa Politano, president of the PTL chapter of Rutgers AAUP-AFT, according to the release. “We’re asking Rutgers to put money back into the classroom. We’re asking Rutgers for a fair salary for those who teach more than 30 percent of the classes. Management’s bonus money alone could foot the bill.”

Grade-ins, which are peaceful actions where instructors gather to collectively grade students’ work, were also held in Newark and Camden. May 1 was also chosen as the day for the grade-in in part because it is recognized worldwide as International Workers' Day, according to the release. 

Dory Devlin, the senior director of University News and Media Relations, said in email to the Targum that the University continues to negotiate in good faith on a regular basis with the remaining unions and that all issues related to employee contracts will be discussed at the negotiating table with the appropriate bargaining team representatives from the administration and the unions. 

Yet the turnout yesterday was a powerful reminder of the strength of the PTL workforce, Politano said in an email to the Targum. 

“We are fighting for real equity, not leftovers at the table,” she said. 

Brendan Brightman