Stand together for peace, despite differences

We are Bahaa Hashem, Will Eastman, and Jane Vorkunova of the Rutgers Shalom/Salaam e-board. Our organization aims to bridge the gap between Jews, Arabs and Muslims through community service, cultural exchange and mutual respect. Rutgers Shalom/Salaam is a non-political organization that focuses on bringing people who might otherwise never speak and encouraging them to work together toward common purposes. We believe that by being united by shared causes, like charity, we are able to better see the humanity in one another and take a step forward rather than backward.

We wish to extend an invitation to anyone in the University community, and in the surrounding communities, to join us at a fantastic event: StandUp For Peace. StandUp For Peace is a comedy duo consisting of Scott Blakeman, an American Jew, and Dean Obeidallah, an American Palestinian, who use their comedy to inspire positive interactions between Jews, Arabs and Muslims. They will come to campus Saturday, March 5 at 8 p.m. in Trayes Hall of the Douglass Campus Center.

The show will be free admission, but a small donation to Rutgers University Dance Marathon will be suggested. Dance Marathon raises money for the Embrace Kids Foundation, a nonprofit organization that aids the non-medical needs of children with cancer and blood disorders. It is a wonderful cause, and we are grateful to be able to support it. A Dance Marathon representative will be in attendance to award spirit points to fraternities, sororities and organizations that are participating in the marathon. Rutgers University Programming Association, Rutgers Hillel, Rutgers University Muslim Students Association, the Rutgers Pakistani Students Association, the Palestine Children's Relief Fund-Rutgers and the campus Deans of Busch, College Avenue and Livingston are joining us to co-sponsor this event. We all have causes, and we all have beliefs. But there is something special to say when people can stand together in unity, in spite of their differences. So, this Saturday, will you stand up for peace?

William Eastman is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in political science and history. Bahaa Hashem is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in political science with a minor in Middle Eastern studies. Jane Vorkunova is a Rutgers Business School junior.