Students deserve control over own money

While reading yesterday's issue of The Daily Targum, I came across an editorial that got my attention. The piece, titled "Keep student fees mandatory for all," spoke of how the Rutgers University Programming Association (RUPA) and the University have been vilified in the wake of Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi coming to the University. The editorial argues that the school should continue to enforce the tuition fees so that the school may continue to provide students with entertainment, clubs and activities. While this is a noble stance to take, I respectfully disagree.

As a student who receives financial aid, I strive to do my best in order to make the taxpayer's investment in me worthwhile. It upsets me that part of my tuition is going to entertainment rather than education. To quote the 30th president of the United States, Calvin Coolidge, "Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery." That is essentially what happened when Snooki visited the University. RUPA spent student money unjustly to provide students with something completely lacking any educational value. I feel it's insulting to not only the students, but also the taxpayers of New Jersey and the people who generously donated money for scholarships.

I do feel that clubs, events and activities are important to the whole notion of the college experience, but I do not believe students should be forced to pay for the events. By giving the students an option on whether to pay, the University is allowing the students to choose where their money is going. If students want clubs, they should work to ensure they have them. There is nothing wrong with fundraising or paying fees to be in a club. If a club or event fails, it means that there was not enough interest in the club or event in the first place. In these tough economic times, fat needs to be cut in order to make things run smoothly. In the face of rising tuition costs, a higher cost of living and higher taxes, students deserve to have their tuition money spent responsibly. The $32,000 that was spent was money that did not need to be spent. It is not right to the people who have to sacrifice so much to be able to attend to see their money get flushed down the toilet. Let these fees be optional so the student may pick their own optimal path.

Michael Korybski is a School of Arts and Sciences junior.