Christie will not run for president in 2012

After months of deliberation, Gov. Chris Christie put an end to speculation and announced today he would not seek the 2012 Republican presidential candidacy.

“So New Jersey, whether you like it or not, you’re stuck with me,” Christie said at a news conference at the Statehouse.

Christie said many people, both within government and from citizens around the nation, urged him to reconsider his position not to run, which he had been consistent with. Their earnestness in recent weeks pushed him to explore running again.

But Christie today said now is not the time for him to run.

“I have a commitment to New Jersey that I simply will not abandon. … That was the promise I made to the people of this state when I took office 20 months ago,” said the governor, who defeated incumbent Democrat Gov. Jon Corzine in the heated 2009 election.

Christie said the state has had many accomplishments so far into his tenure, but there is much to be done. He said if he were to leave, the consequences for the state would be too great.

The 49-year-old governor also made clear the decision was ultimately his and that his wife Mary Pat and two children would have supported him whatever path he chose.

“In the end, they laid it all on me,” he said, adding that he weighed the decision heavily with his family and political team.

Christie said he does want the country to succeed, but he thinks that can happen as long as President Barack Obama is not re-elected. The governor said he does not regret his choice to not run next year, and may re-consider the candidacy in the future.

In the meantime, Christie and his team intend to continue focusing their efforts at home.

“It did not feel right in my gut to leave now when the job here is not finished,” the governor said. “I could never get by that.”

Mary Diduch Editor-in-Chief