Rutgers visits DePaul for conference Battle

4e97aee452e01-image
Photo by Noah Whittenburg |

Senior midfielder Bryant Knibbs notched his first career multiple-goal game against Villanova earlier this week, and is fourth on the Knights with three goals.

The Rutgers men’s soccer team continues its Big East slate this weekend, when the Scarlet Knights travel to Chicago to take on DePaul.

The Knights (6-5-1, 3-1) enter the conference match off a 3-2 victory over Villanova, which helped Rutgers ascend to the No. 2 spot in the Big East Red Division.

With sophomore forward Kene Eze, who leads the Knights with five goals, missing action against ‘Nova to recover from a head injury, head coach Dan Donigan received a scoring boost from senior midfielder Bryant Knibbs.

Knibbs notched two goals against the Wildcats –– his first career multi-goal effort –– and lifted his season scoring total to three.

The last time Knibbs scored a goal was in the Knights’ second game of the season in a 3-1 loss against Furman.

Nine different Rutgers players scored at least one goal this season, and that balance should fair well on the road against a shaky DePaul squad.

The Blue Demons (4-7-2, 1-2-1) are 1-1-1 in their last three matches, which includes a 2-0 loss to the No. 1 team in the Red Division, South Florida, and a 1-1 tie against Villanova.

DePaul averages two goals per game in its past three contests as it welcomes the Knights to Wish Field.

After its match with DePaul, Rutgers has only four conference games on the schedule before season’s end, with the most anticipated match coming in the season finale against USF.

— Staff Report