Week-in review: laurels and darts

Editorial

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced late Wednesday night that the league’s referee lock-out, which has had football fans across the country in a rage for the past two weeks, has finally come to an end. Conveniently, the announcement came just two days after the replacement refs cost Green Bay the game Monday night. Goodell apologized yesterday to fans for the lockout, saying, “We’re sorry to have to put fans through that.” Thanks, but no thanks, Goodell — when you’re pulling replacements for professional referee positions from a lingerie league, you should’ve expected as much. The NFL gets a dart.

For the first time since 2009, the Scarlet Knights football team has been ranked among the top 25 teams in the nation. The team comes in at No. 23 in this week’s Associated Press Top 25, and tied for No. 25 in the USA Today/Coaches Top 25. Is it the new uniforms, or Gary Nova’s Olympian-like athletic feats on the field? Either way, the team deserves a laurel for their excellent performance. A “Go RU” seems appropriate for the occasion, but we don’t want to make ourselves sound overly excited, now do we? Keep up the good work, guys.

Speaking of lockouts, NHL players and officials are currently in the throes of one themselves. The leagues lockout, which has had players (millionaires) and the league’s management (billionaires) quarrelling as to who should get which piece of the pie and how big, has already done its first bit of damage. The league announced the cancellation of its preseason this week, costing our beloved NJ Devils three September games and hours of precious ice-time. We dart the NHL for placing profits over pucks.

Mark Gluck, the director of Rutgers’ Memory Disorders Project, was just awarded a $552,307 three-year grant so he can study — wait for it — why sleep makes us cranky. Well thanks, Gluck, but we could have told you that for about one-fifteenth the cost. In all seriousness, though, Gluck’s acquisition of this grant money not only says good things about the University’s commitment to cutting-edge research and talented faculty, but will help us understand more about the effect sleep has on our cognitive and emotional well-being. The project deserves a laurel. We’d just like to add though, if you’re looking for test subjects to sleep 13 hours a day and get paid for it, look no further than this editorial board.

Guess what? The Obama administration was granted permission to continue detaining American citizens and generally anyone who they might find disagreeable indefinitely and without explanation this week, after a federal appeals judge OK’ed the policy for yet another time. Isn’t that great? Don’t you feel just so much safer now? We personally welcome the policy — continued infringements on American civil liberties just make us giddy. For real, though. The Obama administration gets a dart for this.

This week we learned that the University’s Douglass Residential College is extending its reach to, of all places, Busch campus. The college’s latest living-learning community, called “Women in Engineering,” will work to support female engineers on campus. Douglass’ new living-learning community deserves a laurel.