Week-in review: laurels and darts

Editorial

We learned this week that Gov. Chris Christie plans to campaign for Congressman Steve King, R-Iowa. Now, this alone would usually not strike us as problematic. But it just so happens that this is the same Iowa congressman who, echoing the daffy sentiments of Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., accused the family of a high-ranking Democratic adviser of being “entrenched in the Muslim Brotherhood.” Such sentiments, of course, are thought by many — including former presidential candidate and Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz. — to be completely unfounded, but that hasn’t stopped neither King from making such baseless claims nor Christie from backing him. Christie deserves a dart for supporting King, and, by extension, his bigoted comments.

But this isn’t all bad along the governor’s front. After his latest town hall in Howell, N.J., yesterday, Christie decided to stop showing a Republican National Committee-sponsored video before publicly funded meetings. We’re not sure why Christie and his staff decided it was a good idea in the first place, but the removal of the three-minute video is definitely a step in the right direction. We laurel Christie for realizing the fault of his actions, even though it should’ve quite obvious all along. Video funded by the RNC played before a local town hall meeting? C’mon, man, that’s like mixing church and state.

Thank God for co-education. This year, in honor of the University admitting its first women to campus in 1970, we try to imagine what the University would have been like when it was an all-male institution. Manly fraternizing. Beard-growing contests. Lots of body odor. Something along the lines of the Delta Tau Chi fraternity in “National Lampoon’s Animal House,” we guess. Suffice to say, we’re unimaginably grateful the University’s administrators decided to go co-ed. We laurel this decision along with all the women studying across campus. Without you, the University would be a very, very different place.

Steve Jobs’ newest gift to humanity has finally arrived with the release of Apple’s latest product, the iPhone 5. Although, after the tech giant’s victory against Samsung in a historic legal battle that’s left both lawyers and techies befuddled, we’re not sure we can welcome iPhone with open arms. Apple’s campaign to monopolize the industry while simultaneously stifling creativity has left us fed up with anything fruit-stamped. Apple deserves a dart for thinking that anything with a flat screen and two-finger zoom capability should belong to them. If Jobs isn’t rolling over in his grave, he should be.

No, that $9.14 per gallon price tag at your local Lukoil station was not your imagination. Fifty gas stations raised prices across the state this week in an attempt to send a message to Lukoil’s corporate office, which forces stations to pay extra costs based on their location. These extra costs then translate to higher costs for the owners, which translates to higher costs for consumers, and who really wants that? Gas is too darn high, anyway. We laurel participating Lukoil owners for protesting price hikes that will hopefully result in lowers costs for all of us. If that’s not dedication to the customer, we don’t know what is.