New hybrid seminar adds substance

Editorial

By pairing close-knit, one credit seminars with opportunities for future research, a new collaboration between the University’s Byrne Seminars and Aresty Research Program will bring additional benefits to an experience that is already regarded as among the most memorable of a students college-career.

The new collaboration, available to students in the spring of 2013, will allow students in Byrne-Aresty seminars a unique insight into select, research-oriented subjects. In effect, participants will be able to preserve the close student-mentor bonds so often built during the first-year seminars and gain key research experience by applying to work for their professors as a part of the Aresty Research Assistant Program.

Those students who took a Byrne seminar their first year at the University undoubtedly found the personalized classes useful. Each Byrne seminar is composed of only a handful of students, and is directed by a key faculty member in a given field. The atmospheres are conducive to experimentation and engaged discussion, and help to bring a localized, college feel to a massive state university often devoid of the stuff.

Bringing Aresty into the mix will add even more substance to this experience. Students enrolled will become privy to information not otherwise available to underclassmen, as first-year students are paired with experienced, often distinguished, faculty members to study topics at the cutting-edge of their field of interest. A jump-start on internship opportunities, bond-building workshops and new relationships with professors help to outline the program’s allure.

Moreover, the hybrid courses cater to a myriad of fresh ideas.  For example, in a course entitled “Fighting the Fat: Do Obesity Treatments Work?” students will seek out the causes and consequences of obesity. The course will also explore the current treatment strategies and how obesity drugs work through hands-on experiments.

If successful, the Byrne-Aresty seminars can help to make an undergraduate’s first year at the University even more valuable than it already is.