Campus desktops get new look and function

University students using the computer labs will now notice a change to the usual desktop layout.

The University Office of Information Technology department installed the free desktop overlay program Rainmeter on all computers running Windows in all computer labs on the New Brunswick campus over a period spanning Jan. 1 to 18, said Brian Luper, associate director of Information Technology.

He said the utility allows for greater customization of the desktop. Among the new features is an RSS feed of the OIT blog and RUWireless newsfeed, which helps students provide feedback and keep up with OIT developments.

“Rainmeter is really versatile in how it displays information to users,” he said.

Luper said the idea to install the overlay came from Nikhil Harmalker, assistant lab supervisor of the Livingston Computer Lab.

Harmalker, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, said he came upon the utility one day on his personal computer.

“After testing it on my own, I thought it would enhance the [computer] experience for students,” he said.