Revenge porn websites unethical

Editorial

We’re kind of shocked by how low some people can get on the scumbag scale. We heard about a story on CNN about a young lady getting recognized on the street for unknowingly being featured on a “revenge porn site.” You read that right. Apparently, the way some guys are choosing to deal with their anger from failed relationships is by posting their ex’s sex pictures online, right along with their personal contact information, just in case the legions of perverts online have any trouble finding them on Facebook. We really can’t make this stuff up.

Now, she and 25 other women are suing the revenge porn site. “Sexting” fiascoes cause severe emotional devastation, embarrassment, and social and professional paralysis. We hear stories about women that have to pick up their entire lives and move away so they can escape the wreckage. It’s important for women to protect themselves from this terrible phenomenon.

While it’s optimal that you don’t share naked pictures, remember that anything you send to another person or post online is out there and can’t be taken back.

But, let’s get back to the scumbags. We cannot help but note the blatant sexism of exposing women online. Not only does this objectify women’s bodies and invade their privacy by posting their naked pictures as well as their contact information, but it’s also exerting control over women’s sexuality and perpetuating the idea that women should feel ashamed about their bodies. It’s also encouraging the notion that men can’t be trusted. So, guys, this is as much a problem for you as it is for the girls.

The bottom line is that guys shouldn’t breach the trust and respect that women place in their hands by sharing a personal picture. Doing so is deliberately trying to ruin someone’s life, and that’s unacceptable. Plus, when word gets out about the guy’s terrible action, let’s just say it’ll be really difficult for him to get another girl again.