RUWireless_Secure signal unclear

Editorial

Students clearly have no idea how to access the Internet. Connecting to Firefox shouldn’t be rocket science, but it’s definitely not easy.

According to the University’s site, “RUWireless is available in all student centers and dining halls, most libraries, dorms and many academic and administrative buildings across the University.” If this is true, then why can’t we simply click a button and enjoy browsing?

Students and faculty exercise their choice of two networks: One is “secure,” and liable to cutting out at any moment. The other is even more liable to disconnection.

One network should be accessible. Dealing with two inaccessible networks is ridiculous.

As New Jersey’s “premier public research university,” students should definitely be able to supplement their college experience with autonomous Internet access. We are, after all, living in the Internet Age. We are — of course — impatient.

The level of inconsistency regarding access is even more outrageous. For instance, when a professor cuts her lecture short because her laptop cannot locate a wireless provider, the University has crossed a line. Professors can get behind the student body on this issue. It’s annoying to every user, not to mention a waste of time.

Central Systems and Services has dedicated these past few months to improving campus hardware. Now, operatives are updating systems in all residence halls, which will provide wall-to-wall wireless coverage — eventually.

This progress is positive, but slow moving, for residents. Life without Ethernet cables would simplify things, for sure. RUWireless must be continuously updated in order to remain in its best condition, which validates this mandatory move for housing and should save students’ money.

As the first country to implement the Internet, connectivity in the U.S. is at a significant disadvantage and may never rival, for example, South Korea’s crystal clear signal. American headlines neglect to mention our choppy connection, or the fact that other countries are outperforming us.

Yet, the Internet defines us — our generation, our information and most importantly our education.