Week in review: Laurels and Darts

Editorial

VERY TOUCHING VIGIL 

A candlelight vigil was held at the University for World Suicide Prevention Day, and it rightfully deserves the first laurel this week. The event was aimed at encouraging students to seek help, and to draw attention to college students’ need for support in such cases. Hopefully the event makes University students aware of all the mental health resources and services that are available to them.

ICED TEA INSTABILITY 

Hansel ‘n’ Griddle opened up a new location this semester, and welcomed an influx of business. However, they are missing one integral part of the Hansel experience: Arizona Iced Tea. How are any college students supposed to enjoy their famous crisps without being able to wash it down with 24 ounces of flavored goodness? This dart will taste even bitterer without it. 

LEGRAND LEGACY

The Rutgers football team is retiring campus hero Eric LeGrand’s No. 52 at halftime during this Saturday’s game. LeGrand will become the first player in Rutgers football history to have his number retired, and rightfully so. He has been a source of inspiration for Scarlet Knights everywhere after he was paralyzed from the shoulders down during a game in 2010. This laurel deservingly goes to LeGrand for the honor and his unwavering positivity.

HOUSING HULLABALOO 

The ongoing underserved housing situation of some students deserves this swift dart. Apparently, some students are still holed up in their respective residence hall lounges as they await an on-campus housing assignment. With two weeks gone in the school year and no place to call home, we really hope the situation will be alleviated soon.

ACADEMIC ALLIANCE

Rutgers University, along with Princeton University and the Integrative Graduate Education Research Traineeship, is entering its final year of collaborative energy research with African universities. The collaboration’s objective is to develop research on the Nanotechnology for Clean Energy Project while giving an opportunity for African academics to excel in the field. This laurel goes to this united scholarly initiative.

PEDESTRIAN PROBLEM

This dart goes toward Rutgers pedestrians that apparently don’t know basic traffic rules. Here’s a refresher, people: Use the crosswalk, wait until the light turns green, and look both ways. University students really should not be taking their chances with New Jersey drivers — y’all should know better. We don’t want to hear any more news of fellow Knights getting hurt.