Hill takes medical leave from program

Rutgers head baseball coach Fred Hill will take a leave of absence because of a medical issue.

It is uncertain when or if the 79-year-old, who just completed his 30th season with the Scarlet Knights, will return.

Assistant coach Joe Litterio will serve as acting coach.

“I have complete confidence in Joe and the staff to move the program forward during my time away,” Hill said in a statement. “Having been a head coach before, Joe understands how to lead and prepare a team.”

Litterio has been the assistant for two seasons with Hill after a 12-year stint as the head coach at Wagner.

Litterio played four seasons for Hill from 1990-1993, and the Knights advanced to the NCAA Regionals three times when he played.

“Throughout my career as a baseball coach, I have modeled myself after much of what I learned from coach Hill,” Litterio said in a statement. “He will be missed going forward.”

Hill led the Knights to 11 NCAA Regional appearances. He has gone 941-658-7 with 12 regular season conference championships.

Rutgers finished 28-30 last season, including 14-10 in the Big East. The Knights lost in the Big East tournament semifinal to Connecticut, 2-1.

Rutgers began its fall season Sept. 17 under Hill.