Meteorologists predict cold front, snow storm

52dde59abd0ca-image

From left to right: Kaylin Mahoney, Sarah Mattessich and Scott Cameron, School of Engineering sophomores, moved into their dorms yesterday. Today’s forecast includes colder temperatures and a chance of snow.

Cold weather affected many winter vacations as a polar vortex swept through the Northeast early January. Meteorologists are predicting a new cold front to hit as students go back to classes.

David A. Robinson, the New Jersey state climatologist, said the weather this week would not be as freezing as the subzero temperatures earlier this month. But this front, unlike the previous one, is expected to last into February.

“It will be consistently cold as opposed to what we’ve seen before,” he said.

He said temperatures this week would not reach above freezing.

Robinson does not predict any major storms for the week, but some meteorologists are predicting as much as 8 inches of snow today.

According to The Star-Ledger, a winter storm watch is in effect for the entire state. The snow will most likely hit today at rush hour and last until midnight.

The next morning, temperatures are predicted to be in the single digits, and highs will be in the 20s for the rest of the week, according to the article.

Robinson is watching the weather carefully for next week, when the Super Bowl will come to New Jersey’s MetLife Stadium. According to an article in Rutgers Today, he has created the website biggameweather.com to analyze weather trends for Feb. 2.

The website shows climate data for past years in East Rutherford, N.J., as well as weather maps and predictions for the day.

By Erin Petenko