Rutgers offers new online course options

<p>The University plans to offer several new online courses, including “Papal Rome,” which features lecture footage from student filmmakers.</p>

The University plans to offer several new online courses, including “Papal Rome,” which features lecture footage from student filmmakers.

The University opens this semester with many new online courses for interested students.

Chris Scherer, the director of the New Program Initiatives and Digital Learning, said the Creative Works Project and the Office of New Program Initiatives and Digital Learning are offering collaborations with students.

Terry Corey Brennan, associate professor in the Department of Classics, is teaching a class “Papal Rome” that is offered fully online.

The class focuses on the reigns of Pope Gregory XIII Boncompagni, Gregory XV Ludovisi and their subsequent family history to the present day, according to the course proposal.

Scherer said students from the digital filmmaking program created original video productions for the course.

According to the proposal, lectures from the course include material filmed with digital cameras in Rome and edited by the Office of Instructional and Research Technology.

This projected online course aims to weave together a number of complicated strands in what is hopefully an innovative, clear and compelling way for a 200-level undergraduate constituency, the proposal said.

“Brennan gives a unique perspective to the class because he has access to the royal family archives in Rome,” Scherer said.

Along with Papal Rome, the classics department plans to offer “The Search for the Historical Socrates: Portraits of Socrates in Plato, Xenophon, Aeschines of Sphettus, and Aristophanes” online with Matthew Fox.

Scherer said the office also now offers online courses for the Certificate in Women’s Global Health, a division in Women’s and Gender Studies.

The certificate is a collaboration between the Institute for Women’s Leadership and National Nurses United, the largest nurses union in the United States, according to the NNU website.

“This academic program is the first ever built from the values of bedsides nurses: compassion for the world’s sick and suffering, a single-standard of care for all people, … equal opportunities to fulfill our human potential and commitment to building solidarity with all who share these core values,” according to the website.

According to the website, courses offered for the spring include “Health Consequences of Global Trade in Pharmaceuticals,” which deals with the issue of pharmaceuticals in third-world nations.

The certificate program also offers “Gendered Professions and the Transnational Care Economy,” a course about the role of women in the health profession and the future of the “care economy” of nursing.

Scherer said the certificate was interesting because it taught students how global health and women overlap.

“A lot of people not from Rutgers will be taking the course, which makes it a really new dynamic,” he said.

The office also helped to create a new online course in “Introduction to Art History,” Scherer said.

According to the Department of Art History website, the course provides an overview of the history of Western art from Ancient Egypt to the Holy Roman Empire.

According to the online Schedule of Classes, both “Historical Socrates” and “Introduction to Art History” have a $100 course support fee.