Students explore fitness classes during free trial

<p>Students attend a fitness yoga class during free flex pass week that lasted from Jan. 27 to Feb. 2.</p>

Students attend a fitness yoga class during free flex pass week that lasted from Jan. 27 to Feb. 2.

To encourage students to stay active and attend fitness classes, Rutgers Recreation provided students with the opportunity to choose from 21 different classes for free for a week.

From Jan. 27 to Feb. 2, students did not have to pay the usual $60 to attend a fitness class during the full semester, said Kathi Gladis, aerobic coordinator for the Cook/Douglass Recreation Department.

The free flex pass week was a good bargain because it allowed students to try out many classes for free and see which ones they would like to sign up for, Gladis said.

She said she teaches fitness yoga, Pilates, spinning and BODYFLOW classes.

“The [fitness yoga] class is different than going to the gym because it offer students a group environment where they can exercise to music,” she said.

Yoga is a fitness-based approach where students can de-stress and build their strength, Gladis said. She has taught yoga at the Rutgers Recreation Center for 12 years.

She started teaching fitness classes because she loved them, and when she brought her kids to classes, they really enjoyed it too.

She has also been teaching at Rutgers University for approximately 20 years as a professor in the Department of Exercise Science and Sport Studies, she said.

Chelsea Ng, a BODYSTEP  class teacher, has been teaching fitness classes for three years at the University.

She said she became interested in teaching fitness classes due to her interest in group fitness classes during high school.

She feels that attending fitness classes is a more social way to work out compared to going to the gym.

The group setting and seeing other people in the class makes students more motivated, she said.

Ng said the body step class is a positive and energizing workout. It allows students to work on their cardio and muscles by using adjustable steps and weights.

The BODYSTEP class is fairly new, she said. It only became a class last semester.

Megan Hewitt, a School of Environmental and Biological Sciences senior, went to the BODYSTEP class for her first time.

“The body step class was good for cardio and conditioning. It made me really push myself,” she said.

She said she plans to come back again to this class and is going to take fitness yoga and Zumba classes as well.

“I am glad they offer free flex pass week because I can try a lot of different classes and see which ones I really like with no commitment,” she said.