'Transit Village' to add 1 million square feet of office space, residences, retail to city

Construction projects blotching New Brunswick suggest that the city is receiving a makeover — newly leaked information regarding a New Brunswick Transit Village expansion suggests that “facelift” may be the more appropriate term.

According to New York YIMBY, a site that covers architecture, construction and real estate in the New York City region, New Brunswick Development Corporation plans to spearhead a project that would add additional commercial, residential and retail space to the lots surrounding New Brunswick Station.

This includes 1 million square feet of office space, more than 500 residences and 100,000 square feet of street-front retail.

In comparison, the adjacent Gateway Transit Village (comprised of The Vue luxury apartments, among other occupancies) is 632,000 square feet, according to a DEVCO project sheet. Gateway, completed in 2011, cost $143 million.

An overview shot of the renderings shows pedestrians can access at least two stories of walkways and pavilions. A parking deck would be concealed, New York YIMBY reported.

“[I]f growth can build on the city’s proximity to New York and access to the human capital at Rutgers, then a walkable, vibrant, and desirable Downtown will continue to sprout. The expansion of the ‘Transit Village’ is an important step in the right direction,” the report read.

This is a developing story. Stay tuned as details emerge.