Big Ten challenges excite Rutgers coaches

Senior Ashley Deckert is among the Knights competing against Big Ten runners for the first time this season. – Photo by Photo by The Daily Targum | The Daily Targum

With Rutgers joining the Big Ten this year, there has been buzz of what the implications will be for the school on both academics and athletics. 

Both the men and women of the Rutgers cross country program share the buzz.

The student athletes and coaches realize the level of competition and expectations will be heightened.

“We always have high expectations for ourselves regardless of conference,” said women’s head coach James Robinson. “But we know that the level of competition will be greater with five Big Ten teams in the [NCAA] rankings. So, we know we need to get better.”

The women got off to an impressive start, winning the Fordham Fiasco, but will need to keep improving to compete with the likes of Big Ten opponents Michigan and Michigan State, who are ranked first and sixth in the country, respectively.

Some might say that with a move to the Big Ten, there will be an inevitable sense of pressure that comes along with it. 

Men’s head coach Mike Mulqueen does not fall into that category.

“There’s no added pressure,” he said. “I’m looking forward to it.”

Mulqueen enters his 31st season as the head coach of the men’s track & field and cross country programs, seeing his share of conference realignment throughout the years.

“We’ve competed in the Atlantic 10, Big East [and] American Athletic Conference,” he said. “They’ve all had their challenges, but now we are looking forward to competing against the best.”

Though Mulqueen said the program do not face any added pressure, he admitted just how tough the competition will be moving forward. 

“It’s going to be a huge challenge. The Big Ten is one of the top two or three conferences along with the Pac-12 and the SEC,” he said. “The conference goes eight, nine, ten teams deep — just a terrific conference.”

The men’s NCAA rankings see three teams from the Big Ten currently ranked in the top 30, including Indiana, Wisconsin and Michigan. 

While the program might not feel the added pressure of the new playing field, it certainly can be used to its advantage as a recruiting tool. 

One of the new recruits is freshman Trent Brinkofski, who acknowledged that the allure of the Big Ten did play a role in his choice to come to Rutgers.

“It definitely did,” he said. “There is a new energy that comes with being in the Big Ten. It’s the first year, so everyone is excited.”

Brinkofski feels the excitement surrounding the team will yield improved results over the course of the season. 

“It’s something new, and it’s more competitive, so it makes me train harder and want to compete more,” he said. 

Brinkofski’s teammate and fellow freshman, Alex Livernois, is also excited for the opportunity to compete in the Big Ten.

“The Big Ten has a collection of schools known for academic and athletic prestige like Michigan, Indiana and Purdue, so it is cool to be grouped with them,” Livernois said. 

For updates on the Rutgers cross country teams, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.