Police presence increases on campus amid crime

<p>All Rutgers University Police Department officers will be equipped with body camera technology starting in the fall.&nbsp;</p>

All Rutgers University Police Department officers will be equipped with body camera technology starting in the fall. 

A heightened police presence on College Avenue and the surrounding streets is one way the Rutgers University Police Department responded to crime this semester, including a string of off-campus burglaries, according to a November article in The Daily Targum.

Lt. Brian Emmett of the RUPD said that the increased police presence is intended to assist the public, strengthen community contacts and deter criminal activity.

To supplement the Neighborhood Police Team officers patrolling off-campus areas, uniformed and plainclothes officers have also been dispatched to patrol the streets.

In early November, the Office of Student Affairs issued a Community Alert flyer that was distributed to students walking on campus and meant to increase awareness about recent crimes and reassure the Rutgers community that RUPD is responding to them.

Emmett offered general tips for Rutgers students on staying safe and aware.

“Members of the Rutgers community can reduce their chances of becoming a crime victim by walking in groups at night, remaining alert and aware of their surroundings and immediately reporting suspicious activity to law enforcement,” he said.