Rutgers alumnus named ‘Sexiest Teacher in America’

Photo Illustration | Nicholas Ferroni, a Rutgers alumnus and Union High School teacher, won People magazine’s “Sexiest Teacher in America” title nearly two weeks ago. – Photo by Edwin Gano

Nicholas Ferroni works out every day. He considers himself very healthy and does not drink. Yet 35-year-old Ferroni has a hard time dating because he is “too committed” —committed to his students, that is.
“I am an easy person to fall in love with, but I am a tough person to stay in love with,” he said.
Ferroni is a Union High School teacher and an education activist who was recently named the “Sexiest Teacher in America” by People Magazine about two weeks ago for its list, “Sexy Men at Work.” The Rutgers Class of 2002 graduate, who studied history and English, is not sure how he feels about the title.
“Hopefully it’s not my proudest moment, but it’s really cool to say that you are on the same list with [Sexiest Man Alive] Chris Hemsworth ... and all those guys,” he said. “It’s something I can tell my grandkids.”
Ferroni, who has also been named as one of the 25 fittest men in the world, said although he could not disclose the exact process for the nomination, it was a decision made by the editorial team at People Magazine. Ferroni received a Facebook message from a writer at the magazine asking him if he would like to be featured for the title.
After contemplating the offer with his mom, teacher representative and a few friends, Ferroni realized the title would give him a larger platform to advocate for education issues.
“I mean, it’s not like winning the lottery. It didn’t change my life. It just gave me a slightly larger platform to continue all the work I’m currently working on,” he said.
Although Ferroni’s email and Facebook have flooded with messages from fans, especially women, he would never do anything that tarnishes his image as an educator.
For this reason, Ferroni turned down a few offers for underwear campaigns.
“I can’t imagine my students seeing me in underwear on a billboard and saying, ‘That’s my history teacher,’” he said.
Ferroni’s title, however, is not untouched by controversy. “The Social,” a Canadian talk show, debated the idea of selecting the sexiest teacher, and one of the hosts referred to Ferroni as a “butterface.”
“I am still offended by someone calling me butterface. I think I am a good-looking person,” Ferroni said, laughing.
Although Ferroni is aware how the word “sexy” can have a negative connotation when attached to an educator, he does not feel uncomfortable with the attention because it gives a voice to teachers.
“I think it’s about time a teacher gets some celebrity treatment, considering what teachers go through on a daily basis,” he said.
Outside of school, Ferroni trains interested students at the gym for free, mentors them and supplies them with nutritional items.
As a student at Union High School, Kandon Burton was mentored by Ferroni.
Burton, a Rutgers graduate and current officer for the United States Coast Guard, said his best memories with Ferroni were made at the gym.
“We used to go the gym and lift,” he said. “It was very insightful. We [would] talk about politics and things that matter in life. His goal was for me to become a better person spiritually, mentally and physically.”
Ferroni is also an active advocate for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth.
Ferroni, who Tweets avidly about LGBT issues, said his advocacy encourages students to support the cause as well. He also urges other teachers to openly support LGBT youth.
“I am a champion for anybody who is getting discriminated against for illogical and foolish reasons,” he said. “It’s more important that a straight person stands up for LGBT. You need people who are kind of oppressing you to join your cause.”
While Ferroni does not mind the attention, which includes a few marriage proposals and a spike in Twitter followers, he is disappointed that promoting social issues requires validation in the form of such titles.
“It’s disheartening that people are congratulating me more for this than for being one of the most influential educators,” Ferroni said.
At Rutgers, he worked at the Oral History Archives of World War II and interviewed veterans from the war. He also had short stint playing football, and after college, Ferroni experimented with modeling and acted on the soap opera “All My Children.”
His passion for history kept him on a path toward becoming an educator, of which his mother Marie Ferroni is extremely proud.
“There’s so many proud moments [with Nicholas],” she said. “ I am very proud of his profession ... and that he is my son and a good kid.”
Regarding Nicholas Ferroni’s title, Marie Ferroni feels it humanizes him.
“It’s an exciting thing that he’s being noticed,” she said. “I believe it would make the kids feel that he’s human.”