Rutgers researches possible athletics renovations

Rutgers is in the midst of planning the best strategy for using athletic funds to renovate facilities. 

Second-year Athletic Director Julie Hermann told Scarlet Report that the University aims for smart spending rather than overspending in light of a recently announced $155 million renovation plan from Big Ten competitor University of Maryland. 

“We have a big catch-up to do, but we’re going to do it in what we really believe is the smartest, most efficient, most impactful use of our dollars,” Hermann said in the article from Scarlet Report. “We’ve got to make our dollars be smarter than anybody else’s dollars. We’re doing it on a shortened time frame, and we have to seize the opportunity to catch up.”

In November, Rutgers announced a study that would research the feasibility of renovating the Louis Brown Athletic Center on Livingston campus. 

Hermann said the department aims to meet with major supporters to discuss what the best renovations would be, then meet with University officials to “finalize what [they] think is the next smart step.”

According to the article, former Athletic Director Tim Pernetti commissioned Michael Graves Architecture and Design to look into renovations for the RAC.

“When I got here, there were renderings on many projects. I see that many, many things have been drawn up,” Hermann said in the article. “I do feel strongly that whatever we draw, we have to do it. We have to get it done.”

She said Rutgers plans to approach donors and assure them that the projects they undertake are feasible and going to happen. 

Meanwhile, Rutgers is going ahead with plans to build a new indoor facility for baseball and softball, which are currently housed in the RAC. Hermann said the department hopes to break ground on the project by June 30, 2015, for use in the 2015-16 season. 

The new indoor facility would be located between Bainton Field and the Rutgers Softball Complex in Piscataway. Its main function is to relieve space issues at the RAC and the football program’s field house at the Hale Center on Busch campus.

“No one gets enough time in the field house, so that’s why this is really important to accomplish,” Hermann said. “We’re parking it right in the heart of where they function every day, which is also key.”